Refund for Housing Bond

She shouldn't have given them anything, it should be a dispute with DPS who will decide how much is taken out of the bond.

If you're just handing over cash without letting DPS mediate you're abit of a pudding brain.

Do not give them any money! She will receive a letter from DPS stating what the landlord thinks should be returned, she simply follows the instructions and either accepts it if she agrees the amounts are fair (doesn't sound like she thinks they are though) or she disputes it. It's all done online and if she disputes it, the landlord has to PROVE that the amount they asked for is legit. DPS nearly always side with the tenant.

This is the route your granddaughter must use. Anything else and she not only risks losing her entire deposit, but she might also end up paying out extra like that £100 she's handed over. Who on earth are the landlords? They really need naming and shaming I'd say as based on what you've put in here they are manipulating someone who doesn't fully understand the deposit protection scheme. DPS is just a company who hold deposits so the landlords can't spend it and then claim they can't give you your deposit back. They also act as arbitrator if the tenant and landlord can't agree on the deposit repayments. This stops landlords doing what they seem to be doing to your granddaughter and trying it on to get out of paying back the deposit.

She shouldn't have given them anything, it should be a dispute with DPS who will decide how much is taken out of the bond.

If you're just handing over cash without letting DPS mediate you're abit of a pudding brain.

geared Ive told her but I think they are bullying her because she's young If it was me I would have told them to get on with it do their worse

A thought: was your grand-daughter aged at least 18 when the letting began?

If not, she could argue that she- a minor- was never bound by it at all.

Yes she is 22 now with a boy aged 1 this month

---------- Post added 03-05-2017 at 19:02 ----------

Hi tracy ive spoke to my nan about whats happend and shes contacted a solicitor over the matter they have said no money should of been handed over and also that you cant stop the.bond money been reffered back to me as i can dispute any money been taken out off it so i would like the 100 i have given you for the flooring refunding as the soliciotor says its classed as wear and tear (shes seen photos ) any other matter to do with anything replacing needs to be re decided by DPS as i have already replaced the carpet. Thanks.

This is what my granddaughter has sent to her Landlady is there anything to add

Edited by NANNY
missing sentence

Yes she is 22 now with a boy aged 1 this month

---------- Post added 03-05-2017 at 19:02 ----------

Hi tracy ive spoke to my nan about whats happend and shes contacted a solicitor over the matter they have said no money should of been handed over and also that you cant stop the.bond money been reffered back to me as i can dispute any money been taken out off it so i would like the 100 i have given you for the flooring refunding as the soliciotor says its classed as wear and tear (shes seen photos ) any other matter to do with anything replacing needs to be re decided by DPS as i have already replaced the carpet. Thanks.

This is what my granddaughter has sent to her Landlady is there anything to add

Get your granddaughter to contact private housing standards dept at the council for advice on how to proceed....

Has she actually handed over £100, or has she just agreed to £100 being withheld from the bond? Whichever it is, has the rest of the bond been returned? Is she still living in the property? Has she paid her rent until the agreed date on which she vacates?

Sounds like she's handed over £100 for some obscure reason.

I've no idea why you'd hand the landlord cash when there is a security deposit in place?

she's young geared and doesn't know how things work

I rented my first place at 18 and knew the score with the security deposit, 22 is not young or an excuse.