Half billion redevelopment project announced.

HSBC's new offices with shops underneath.

oh right an office block with a few shops underneath . Is this the anchor tenant for the 500 million RETAIL quarter?

No of course it's not. The Anchor tenants will be a large department store most likely John Lewis.

Clearly the HSBC block will just be one of many blocks that forms the development

Edited by ECCOnoob

No of course it's not. The Anchor tenants will be a large department store most likely John Lewis.

Clearly the HSBC block will just be one of many blocks that forms the development

office blocks ?

Mixed use most probably.

Quite frankly who gives a toss as long as the area gets its investment and gets developed.

There is more to the global project than just about trying to create a city centre version of Meadowhall.

Mixed use areas with retail on the lower levels / workspaces or residential on the upper levels is is what other city developments have had for decades.

Look at what is on top of and combined within the Liverpool One, Manchester Arndale, Nottingham Victoria, Birmingham Bullring developments.

Its not just about shopping all the time.

fair enough but as I said before , excuse me for being cynical

Woohoo, can't wait for HSBC to move to the new retail quarter.....

Why would i miss the old building, with it's masses of parking and ease of access so i can go work down the Moor with nowhere to park and crap roads surrounding it.

Still, probably be a Greggs underneath it

Inspired

Sevenstone springs to mind . ill believe it when I see it

Well...YES....QUITE.

---------- Post added 30-04-2017 at 21:59 ----------

Actually the Leeds one is now £1 per journey.

The Manchester one is funded by both the City Council and GMPTE. Perhaps if our council could have chopped away some more of the ever dwindling budget to chip in for the costs it might have stayed. - wonder if people would have been very happy with that eh?

Its also quite interesting that at the time of withdrawal of the Freebee the Rotherham one continued on by getting payments from the owners of Parkgate Shopping Centre. So Rotherham's free bus was actually pulling people away from the Town Centre and giving them a nice free shuttle to Parkgate instead.

In other words they are not so free after all unless a council is prepared to sacrifice funding from one of their other services to keep it going or a private corporation (with their own motives) wants to keep it going.

Actually the Leeds one has been scrapped. It was supposed to be replaced with 2 services (5 and 70) covering the same routes...but they don't.

Guest makapaka
piling rigs for what ?

The HSBC development which includes retail below.

Why would i miss the old building, with it's masses of parking and ease of access so i can go work down the Moor with nowhere to park and crap roads surrounding it.

Inspired

Masses of parking? Do we work in different buildings or something? Only management have parking spaces and most of the lower levels require wellies don't they?

Guest makapaka
fair enough but as I said before , excuse me for being cynical

Something's happening now.

I could understand cynicism when there was nothing happening and the sevenstone fiasco but now we've got spades in the ground.

Be positive - saying everyone will be rubbish won't make the boat go faster will it?

I think it is fairly anti-car, but parking isn't the issue, nor the cost of it.

That's exactly why I stopped going into the city centre. I don't find shopping high on my list of leisure activities. Shopping is essential to me. Its to be done as quick and easly as possible. I will travel to find something unique but I still want to park cheaply and get the item(s) bought and back home ASAP.

Inspired

There isn't masses of parking at Silver Street. Unless you include the on/off street parking around Scotland Street area but even that is limited now by the work at St Vincent's.

But yes there could be a Greggs. I'm curious though, what are the dining options at Silver Street. Not that much last time I was round there.