Half billion redevelopment project announced.

It always seemed daft having city centre retail stretching from the Moor all the way to Lady's Bridge. Even in the heyday of city centre shopping no-one would realistically want to trek up hill and down Dale from one end to the other.

It makes sense to consolidate all the retail and have one vibrant area rather than two areas that feel run down and depressing - the area around the Castle Market had been awful for decades.

It always seemed daft having city centre retail stretching from the Moor all the way to Lady's Bridge. Even in the heyday of city centre shopping no-one would realistically want to trek up hill and down Dale from one end to the other.

It makes sense to consolidate all the retail and have one vibrant area rather than two areas that feel run down and depressing - the area around the Castle Market had been awful for decades.

I totally agree, and while the public transport links are marginally better at the other end of town thanks to the tram, the access for cars and parking is considerably better near the Moor.

That's why Rotherham town centre died and moved to Parkgate, just outside the edge of the town centre. Parkgate has some shops on the old road leading from town out to Rawmarsh but most of the other shops are in the two shopping areas created a few decades ago.

There are a few independent shops in Rotherham but its not like it was prior to pedestrianisation and the building of Parkgate in the early 80s.

In my opinion, changing the roads and car parking back in the leary 90s didn't help either. I used to walk into Sheffield most lunchtimes from work in the 80s and very early 90s. I could do Moor up to Debenhams or the other side of town if I walked or go the bus the other way.

Masked swearing attempts have been removed. So have the personal attacks. Any post that quoted any of the above have also been removed.

Been reported in the star that JD Sports is opening a new shop on the Moor . Is this another of the high end shops we were promised for the retail quarter ? in reality they are really only moving because they already have a shop a few hundred yards away .

Guest makapaka

Was in town today and was a bit perturbed - there are 2 big empty units on fargate. The moor is miles better these days but still big units empty.

The light development got a good anchor with primark but still a massive unit underneath that's empty.

Need to attract some big retailers some

Was in town today and was a bit perturbed - there are 2 big empty units on fargate. The moor is miles better these days but still big units empty.

The light development got a good anchor with primark but still a massive unit underneath that's empty.

Need to attract some big retailers some

I think JD are moving into the unit under the light development but surely all that's happening is shops are moving and leaving other units empty eg primark , tj hughes ,poundland and now jd sports

Guest makapaka
I think JD are moving into the unit under the light development but surely all that's happening is shops are moving and leaving other units empty eg primark , tj hughes ,poundland and now jd sports

Yes you're right. That's the problem.

Yes you're right. That's the problem.

Agreed , but this council will make it sound like some sort of victory and that they are doing a fantastic job , where in reality other parts of town are dying

Guest makapaka
Agreed , but this council will make it sound like some sort of victory and that they are doing a fantastic job , where in reality other parts of town are dying

I don't think it's the councils fault. What can they do other than approve retail space development.

Suppose they can try and promote it to retailers but it's up to them if they come.

I don't think it's the councils fault. What can they do other than approve retail space development.

Suppose they can try and promote it to retailers but it's up to them if they come.

It is the councils planning at fault ,they have killed the traditional trading area in the rush to appease out of town investors in the South of the City.

They have also moved their offices into the same area convenient int it.

Been reported in the star that JD Sports is opening a new shop on the Moor . Is this another of the high end shops we were promised for the retail quarter ? in reality they are really only moving because they already have a shop a few hundred yards away .

The Moor isn't part of the retail quarter development (SRQ/NRQ/formerly 7-Stone). The start of that development is the HSBC block with a load of shops underneath that is going up now.

There is bound to be a bit of shuffling around of existing retailers as better units become available. New ones will come in too.