Half billion redevelopment project announced.

Nonsense, we've just popped into town to collect some books from the library. £1 on a meter for half an hour and back home 15 minutes later.

A pound for half an hour:o.No way am i paying a pound for half an hour.

Well on that logic I would avoid driving a car in town altogether, parking or not! :D

Well on that logic I would avoid driving a car in town altogether, parking or not! :D

I am a proper yorkshireman,how much is my favourite saying and i have learnt to peel an orange in my pocket.I panic when i see a charity collector in the street and i have know means of a quick escape.:hihi::hihi:

As am I which is why no bugger charges me to park Shanks' Pony in town

Nonsense, we've just popped into town to collect some books from the library. £1 on a meter for half an hour and back home 15 minutes later.

You didn't come to town you came to the library that happened to be in town.

That argument applies to any visit to anywhere, and as such is specious.

---------- Post added 02-05-2017 at 22:24 ----------

You'd rather drive a 60 mile round trip to Doncaster, taking 1:30 hrs and costing £6 in petrol.

---------- Post added 02-05-2017 at 22:25 ----------

Not quite true. Businesses used to open later one night on the run up to Christmas, but they stopped doing so over time as there wasn't sufficient demand.

The BID are trying to revive later opening with the "Alive after Five" initiative, but it looks like it will take a while to change things.

It's definitely true.

Since nothing is open, nobody will be in town.

Your assertion that not many people shopped when things were open might also be true, but that doesn't invalidate my assertion, they can both be true.

I could have had an hour for that price but it would have meant an extra 100 metre walk and would have still only taken less than 30 minutes to complete my business.

So, what would you consider a fair price for parking in one of the UK's largest city?

Your point being?

It's definitely true.

Since nothing is open, nobody will be in town.

Your assertion that not many people shopped when things were open might also be true, but that doesn't invalidate my assertion, they can both be true.

That argument applies to any visit to anywhere, and as such is specious.

Quite!

If all you meant by your comment was simply that there are no shops open, and there are no people shopping in the closed shops, then frankly that's such an obvious, literal and irrelevant point I'm not sure why you bothered.

If you're suggesting that simply opening the shops in the evening would encourage evening shopping then you're still wrong, unless you're still sticking to the blunt, literal sense.

There is a criticial mass of demand that is needed for the retailers based in the city centre to feel like it is financially worthwhile opening in the evenings. Clearly that point has not been reached otherwise they would have started doing it. I don't think you have a rebuttal to that, so instead we're getting a pedantic point about the literally sense of there being no shoppers in town?

There is a way of changing that, but it won't simply be to open the shops in the evening - that will ultimately fail in the long run if the amount of demand in the evenings doesn't increase. That can only be done by increasing the city centre population, and trying to attract more out of town shoppers to the centre by improving the environment and shops on offer (see The Moor etc.). If that increases the demand for evening shopping, then the shops will follow suit. In this sense I think Sheffield is moving in the right direction.

Quite!

If all you meant by your comment was simply that there are no shops open, and there are no people shopping in the closed shops, then frankly that's such an obvious, literal and irrelevant point I'm not sure why you bothered.

If you're suggesting that simply opening the shops in the evening would encourage evening shopping then you're still wrong, unless you're still sticking to the blunt, literal sense.

There is a criticial mass of demand that is needed for the retailers based in the city centre to feel like it is financially worthwhile opening in the evenings. Clearly that point has not been reached otherwise they would have started doing it. I don't think you have a rebuttal to that, so instead we're getting a pedantic point about the literally sense of there being no shoppers in town?

There is a way of changing that, but it won't simply be to open the shops in the evening - that will ultimately fail in the long run if the amount of demand in the evenings doesn't increase. That can only be done by increasing the city centre population, and trying to attract more out of town shoppers to the centre by improving the environment and shops on offer (see The Moor etc.). If that increases the demand for evening shopping, then the shops will follow suit. In this sense I think Sheffield is moving in the right direction.

I totally agree with your last paragraph, that now we have something to keep people in the centre for longer there is a good chance that those people would happily do a bit of shopping before going to see a film or have a meal and therefore the incentive is there for the shops on the Moor at least to trial opening in the evenings, particularly in Thurs-Sun evening when the cinema and restaurants are likely to be at their busiest.

but most people don't go shopping before going to the cinema or for a meal and vice versa

I was down The Moor yesterday and it was packed.

The Moor is becoming a better experience because its twice the width and length of Fargate. Could become the new High Street

Edited by SkylinePhoto

Quite!

No, I meant (and said) that because there are no shops open, there are no people there to shop.

If the shops are not open it's guaranteed that there will be no-one around to shop in them.

You'd think it was obvious, but apparently not to the council.

It would be the bare minimum to enable it. Arguably it would encourage it more than literally having no open shops to shop in. Which is not to say that it would suddenly become popular, but it would at least be possible.

How could they possibly measure a demand when everything is closed.

If you go and stand in town on a Wed evening at 1930 it's like a ghost town. So you might conclude that nobody wants to shop at 1930. Meadowhall would tell you a different picture though.

Yes, it's certainly not as simple as opening the shops. But if the shops aren't open, I can guarantee that it will remain as it is now, empty in the evening.

It's not chicken and egg. The shops very much have to come first, because people wanting to shop aren't going to wander around a closed city centre hoping that retailers notice them and open sometime in the next 6 months.

---------- Post added 03-05-2017 at 14:31 ----------

but most people don't go shopping before going to the cinema or for a meal and vice versa

Really? We quite often pop into a few shops in meadowhall before seeing a film and/or have some food before or after the film.