Half billion redevelopment project announced.

Why don't the shops in town open regularly in the evenings?

Because there aren't enough customers to make it worth opening.

The question is how much are we going to pay John Lewis to Move ?. Not looking good for Fargate all ready large empty units and looks Like H & M moving down the Moor any news on the old BHS store on the Moor.

why can't they have two stores?

Sheffield isn't going to catch some of those cities up from a retail perspective, but a small but decent retail quarter to compliment the open spaces the city centre has to offer alongside restaurants and bars will do for me.

Precisely. Sheffield has left it too late to compete with the big boys.

This project is more akin to this one in Blackburn:

http://www.blackburnbid.co.uk/11586_cathedral-quarter-changing-face-blackburn/

And its worked. It looks nice, its got the main high street names and a couple of restaurants.

exactly!! and thats what will happen with this development, Sheffield has no idea how to attract retail customers, we do well oh so well with the snooker championship but the rest is just a waste of time.

H&M?

I doubt they'll feel like the demand is strong enough in Sheffield to warrant two stores, particular two which are geographically quite close together. There's been a lot of positive work in Sheffield city centre re:retail, but I don't think there is enough demand here yet to make two H&Ms financially viable.

But Sheffield City Centre is a craphole....and just how do you get to the bottom of the Moor and back (so you can take "advantage" of the "wonderful" new market, Primark, T J Hughes and all the other "delightful" things it has to offer) from the Tram stops - I gave up trying to work it out when the Freebie ceased to be.

Since then if I want a DECENT market or a DECENT shopping mall I'll go over to Doncaster.

Sheffield City Centre is dead on it's feet.

Erm, you walk a few hundred metres or if you are unable to walk that far and don't have the usage of a mobility scooter or other mobility aid then there are numerous buses that go from the tram stops on High Street around to the bottom of the Moor.

However, Frenchgate is quite good, but we have Meadowhall so again no real comparison. Doncaster city centre is abysmal the moment you get outside of Frenchgate.

---------- Post added 02-05-2017 at 12:47 ----------

Woohoo, can't wait for HSBC to move to the new retail quarter.....

Why would i miss the old building, with it's masses of parking and ease of access so i can go work down the Moor with nowhere to park and crap roads surrounding it.

Still, probably be a Greggs underneath it

Inspired

Nowhere to park near the Moor? Are you chuffing kidding me?!?!? I can think of 5, yes 5, car parks within a 2 min walk of the Moor. Shall I list them for you?

Atkinsons

Wellington Street

Rockingham Street

Eyre Street

Furnival Gate East

Next completely factual incorrect whinge please. There may well be a Greggs however ;)

---------- Post added 02-05-2017 at 12:49 ----------

Sheffield needs this development at present around Cambridge Street is a mess though I would like to see more of the old buildings reused. The only downside to this and this is not only just a Sheffield problem most people like to shop online than shopping in a shop. Perhaps a way forward is to have entertainment provesion has well as retail more mixed development than just purely retail.

The new cinema on the Moor meets exactly this requirement. New cinema with several resturants mixed in. I think Sheffield city centre is looking the best it has since I moved here 12 odd years ago and I really hope the work going on around Charter Row is the final major piece missing. After that hopefully it can be cosmetic upgrades rather than complete rebuilding.

It is not a pop in pop out destination it needs to be an all day enjoyable experience.

Nonsense, we've just popped into town to collect some books from the library. £1 on a meter for half an hour and back home 15 minutes later.

Why would they want to?

---------- Post added 02-05-2017 at 17:07 ----------

Why aren't there enough customers?

A - Because nothing is open.

---------- Post added 02-05-2017 at 17:09 ----------

Resiting of the market and then stopping the free bus was, without doubt, one of the most reduculous descisions made in the recent city centre development. The market needs good public transport access from all parts of the city. The Supertram needs a spur down the moor and to continue up London road toward Millhouses in order to create a comprehensive network. If you only go to places you can take your car to then the City Centre is not for you anyway. It is not a pop in pop out destination it needs to be an all day enjoyable experience.

I drove to work today in the city centre. It took 15 mins each way, nearly as quick as cycling, quicker than the tram, and cost £5 to park all day.

Admittedly it wasn't enjoyable as I had to work.

Why would they want to?

There are 3 Poundland's in town. They seem to be busy enough. :hihi:

However, i bet the rent on The Moor is a quarter of what it is on Fargate

There isn't masses of parking at Silver Street. Unless you include the on/off street parking around Scotland Street area but even that is limited now by the work at St Vincent's.

But yes there could be a Greggs. I'm curious though, what are the dining options at Silver Street. Not that much last time I was round there.

There's a 400 space car park beneath Griffin house, so that's potentially 400 odd cars that need parking facilities within easy reach of the new building.

Why aren't there enough customers?

A - Because nothing is open.

Not quite true. Businesses used to open later one night on the run up to Christmas, but they stopped doing so over time as there wasn't sufficient demand.

The BID are trying to revive later opening with the "Alive after Five" initiative, but it looks like it will take a while to change things.

Not quite true. Businesses used to open later one night on the run up to Christmas, but they stopped doing so over time as there wasn't sufficient demand.

The BID are trying to revive later opening with the "Alive after Five" initiative, but it looks like it will take a while to change things.

a while to change things , what, like the market that has been open 4 years and is still struggling