Unadopted streets

Talbot gardens near park hill is unadopted too.

I lived in a home on Talbot Place that backed onto Talbot Gardens as a young kid. That wasn't yesterday. I strolled down Talbot Gardens around 5 years or so ago. It was in dreadful condition, like it hadn't been touched since I was a kid.

Hi all I lived on Upwell Hill, it was tar mac in the 1970's when the nursing home was built, even now the opposite side facing the houses, the pavement is not done. Even though the road was unadopted there was always a lamp post, the old fashioned gas light. Jean J

I and seven other properties live on an unadopted road,it sports one street light!.Tarmacing and maintenance has to be paid between us,for this our caring council charges me £40 per week rates!.Now I understand I have to pay my share towards policing,street lighting and such but I feel the council are extracting the urine just a little bit in my and my neighbors case!.:nono::cry:

Edited by old tup
missed a letter!

How does that work with street lighting then, are these a separate issue?

Although the roads are unadopted the council can choose to provide lighting (at the councils expense) as a "public service", (as long as the residents agree), as they are a lighting authority. Remember that in times gone by the lighting department was accountable to the "watch committee" which also dealt with the police, so crime was a major reason for providing lighting, it is only recently that lighting has been included in highways.

A few years ago the lighting on an unadopted road near Lodge Moor was in need of replacement, a plan was drawn up and put to the residents. The plan would have improved the overall lighting, but the residents objected to the number of new lamps, so in the end they just replaced what was already in position with a similar type. This road (can't remember its name) was a through route, the surface was shocking but it was still busy, and the lighting amounted to " one at each corner and a couple in the middle", nowhere the standard required for a through route today, but the council could do nothing unless the residents agreed.

Gainsborough Road. Sheff 11.

Possibly Orphanage Road - Sheff 3 could be unadopted. The tenants may have moved to have been adopted on Ward Place – Sheff 7, or Ward Street – Sheff 3. Just a thought.

Laxey Road off Liberty Road at Rivelin.

How about Meadowbank Avenue in Nether Edge? I think it has some kind of unusual status.