Unadopted streets

Years ago I used to see streets in Sheffield with the term 'unadopted' below the name. What did it mean, as there were occupied houses on them, perhaps unpaved road ?

I think it meant (and still means) that the council have not taken on responsibility for the street or road (not "adopted" it from the builders) and so maintenance is left with the people who own the properties along it. Hence, it would only be paved or have tarmac if the owners pay for it directly.

Bentley Road in Walkley was one. Bomber Graham used to live at the end of it. Still unmade to this day.

How does that work with street lighting then, are these a separate issue?

Upwell Hill, which was known locally as Stoney Hill, leading down towards Upwell Lane and Upwell Street on this photo dated 11 Oct '65 was still apparently not 'adopted' at the time. It's been treated with tarmac for a number of years now, possibly due to the nursing home at the junction with Earl Marshall Road at the top of the hill.....

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s20148&prevUrl=

Edited by PeterR

Unadopted roads are covered in this thread on Sheffield History ---------- http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/2543-unadopted-roads/

In the 70's when I was on the buses at East Bank garage Farm Road was unadopted. Though in good condition we were not allowed to use it with buses when returning to garage.

Upwell Hill, which was known locally as Stoney Hill, leading down towards Upwell Lane and Upwell Street on this photo dated 11 Oct '65 was still apparently not 'adopted' at the time. It's been treated with tarmac for a number of years now, possibly due to the nursing home at the junction with Earl Marshall Road at the top of the hill.....

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s20148&prevUrl=

Yes Peter, my inquiry into unadopted roads was mainly those in Pitsmoor and Grimesthorpe. Yes Upwell Hill is one, Alliance Street (off Earsham Street) another and then Scott Street (next to the 'Alex') if ever there was an unadopted or unloved little lane, then that's one and it's still there !

---------- Post added 27-04-2017 at 19:13 ----------

---------- Post added 27-04-2017 at 19:17 ----------

[/color]

Yes I wondered too. What about those that had council provided street lighting, sewers, drainage and pavements (perhaps no paved roadway) and if the builder went out of business in say in 1920, what then ? My question is general and not directed at your goodself.

---------- Post added 27-04-2017 at 19:32 ----------

Yes Peter, my inquiry into unadopted roads was mainly those in Pitsmoor and Grimesthorpe. Yes Upwell Hill is one, Alliance Street (off Lyons Street) another and then Scott Street (next to the 'Alex') if ever there was an unadopted or unloved little lane, then that's one and it's still there !

Edited by stpetre
Add

Guest makapaka
Bentley Road in Walkley was one. Bomber Graham used to live at the end of it. Still unmade to this day.

Nicholls road in walkley also.

One just off Norborough Rd Tinsley,or there was.

Years ago I used to see streets in Sheffield with the term 'unadopted' below the name. What did it mean, as there were occupied houses on them, perhaps unpaved road ?

I don't have to tell you where Earl Marshall Rd was or is but that was unadopted at some point, wouldn't know now though. fleetwood