Hardest to fake new pound coins have been faked.

650 pesos cost about £10. But still £55 for £10 investment is not bad.

It has not even been a month but a lot of UK fake coin forgeries come from Asian factories with advanced equipment. Many people will not have the time to waste to check holograms and printing on the side on every pound they exchange.

Yes its all very well saying the hologram makes it harder to counterfeit - but is your average till assistant going to inspect every single pound coin? Can self-service tills scan the hologram or would new expensive tills be needed to be installed first?

Yes its all very well saying the hologram makes it harder to counterfeit - but is your average till assistant going to inspect every single pound coin? Can self-service tills scan the hologram or would new expensive tills be needed to be installed first?

They don't need to inspect the hologram, they can make use of the magnetic signature to check.

They don't need to inspect the hologram, they can make use of the magnetic signature to check.

Have not seen any magnetic signatures on them, do you need some special glasses?

So the shop assistant has to scan every pound coin to check the magnetic field matches what one expects?

I still think all this security falls apart, at first glance, because shops are not going to check it all carefully because it would take too long. The number of security features appears long and would be complicated to check oneself:

https://www.thenewpoundcoin.com

However perhaps they will spend lots of money on new machines which can quickly check all the security features. But I don't know if thats viable for independent shops.

---------- Post added 26-04-2017 at 16:29 ----------

Why would they not check it? Its supposed to be one of the new security features. If you don't need to check it, then it would be redundant.

Looking at holograms to save a pound. Can't even buy half a cup of coffee for that and we are supposed to check all these silly safety features. I will look like a fool checking holograms but will shrug my shoulders if one were fake.

I would have thought the cost of producing a passable £1 coin would hardly be worth it considering £1 these days buys very little. Better to produce the £2 coin at least.

It resembles the old,brass, Threp'ny Bit.

Can anybody work out how much the pound's value/worth has diminished since, say 1970 ? Best I can work out is, the 1970 pound would be equivalent to ( would buy ) what it would take £11 to buy today ?

Can anybody work out how much the pound's value/worth has diminished since, say 1970 ?

It hasn't diminished at all. It's still worth 16 ounces.

Don't confuse the young 'uns LeMaquis, they have a job with decimalisation.

There are now pound coins found with missing middle, cracked, warped, gaps in them.

Harder you try to make it complicated with ground breaking technology funnier it gets.

These misprints are worth a lot with collectors.

It resembles the old,brass, Threp'ny Bit.

Can anybody work out how much the pound's value/worth has diminished since, say 1970 ? Best I can work out is, the 1970 pound would be equivalent to ( would buy ) what it would take £11 to buy today ?

A £1 from 1970 had the purchasing power of £15.10 in todays money.

There are now pound coins found with missing middle, cracked, warped, gaps in them.

Harder you try to make it complicated with ground breaking technology funnier it gets.

These misprints are worth a lot with collectors.

i have just been shown one, if you check the top of the thistle on the back, the top goes over the middle ring, most have quite a thick strip, some (i have one) is a lot thinner. easy to spot the difference side by side