Were there more 'characters' back then ?

Could be I'm not getting out enough, but I think there were more amusing characters around 'back then' than there are today. Any memories ( beyond 'The Duke of Darnall' ) ?

Old Edna was one such near us. In her 70's at the time, head-scarf, Hilda Ogden rain-mac and dirty white Plimsols. I was once in the the butchers when she was just leaving. When she'd gone, the 3 ( male) customers already in began laughing. " Good old Edna, there's plenty round here lost their virginity to her; It was her who gave half the ARP wardens the clap during in the war !"

She was once in the local Co-oP. I was near the front of the long queue when she shouted from one of the isles "Oy " beckoning to me, " Oy you, come 'ere." To avoid further embarrassment I reluctantly left the queue. She had two different shampoo bottles in her hands " See that ?" she said, "And see that ? They're both crap !" and then just walked off.

So come on with yours then, and forget being PC; their 'Alternative comedy' is the alternative to being funny !

Could be I'm not getting out enough, but I think there were more amusing characters around 'back then' than there are today. Any memories ( beyond 'The Duke of Darnall' ) ?

Old Edna was one such near us. In her 70's at the time, head-scarf, Hilda Ogden rain-mac and dirty white Plimsols. I was once in the the butchers when she was just leaving. When she'd gone, the 3 ( male) customers already in began laughing. " Good old Edna, there's plenty round here lost their virginity to her; It was her who gave half the ARP wardens the clap during in the war !"

She was once in the local Co-oP. I was near the front of the long queue when she shouted from one of the isles "Oy " beckoning to me, " Oy you, come 'ere." To avoid further embarrassment I reluctantly left the queue. She had two different shampoo bottles in her hands " See that ?" she said, "And see that ? They're both crap !" and then just walked off.

So come on with yours then, and forget being PC; their 'Alternative comedy' is the alternative to being funny !

Sadly some "characters" suffered from untreated mental illness. Pond street Nora rolling her "ciggies" which were just rolled paper which flared up when she lit them. A lad near Aston who wiggled string at road junctions.A guy who used to stand up in the Elm Tree pub swearing until one day somebody thought he was swearing at him and thumped in.A young patient at Whittington Hospital who used to wear a pair of boots out every month constantly walking at speed.He used to love to throw paper in the air.The staff had to lock their doors as he was so quick.One day a "super" salesman parked up,got out of his car to preen himself when he got in his passenger door and threw his precious paperwork in the air !! Edited by esme
quote tags

Re-reading my post there, maybe I should have used asterisks for the 'crude' words, or warned of possible 'offence'. But then it would have lost its originality and been an edited account. However, though it will be equivalent to having a tooth pulled, I will bow to self censorship in future and avoid any possible upset to those who may find such 'un-reconstructed' language distasteful.

Re-reading my post there, maybe I should have used asterisks for the 'crude' words, or warned of possible 'offence'. But then it would have lost its originality and been an edited account. However, though it will be equivalent to having a tooth pulled, I will bow to self censorship in future and avoid any possible upset to those who may find such 'un-reconstructed' language distasteful.

On a nostalgia thread, there's no reason to bow down to Political Correctness.

It didn't exist in those days. It's only for today's generation that feel "uncomfortable" with reality. These delicate snowflakes could never have survived through the last couple of wars.

But to your point, it seemed that every neighborhood had at least one local who was "daft" (a local ailment :)). Like the village idiots who went before, they were appreciated for their constant smiles and laughs.

We took care of them, gave them old clothes, and I even used to shave one of them, Leslie Heinz, of Hartopp fame, because his hands were always shaking with "St Vitus's dance" (another local ailment :) )

For a cup of tea, he would bring in a shovel full of coal for grandma, or help carry the bags from the local grocery.

Edited by trastrick

I wasn't offended.I,m sorry if I appear to be.I,m probably the most anti pc person around.

Sorry Biker, I wasn't aiming that at anyone, only myself, your post was just what I hoped to see.

Lots of such characters were suffering from psychological problems, as you say, although the Edna I mentioned wasn't, she was just a don't-give-a-damn type .

I fully sympathise with those who are mentally ill in some way, and they certainly shouldn't be made fun of, despite our having to smile at the things they may come out with.

For 29 years, we took in and cared for a friend from the army until his early death in 1997. He'd been discharged due to serious mental problems brought on during some close action in Aden in the mid 1960's, (South Wales Border Regiment ). In and out of Middlewood he was, and a great problem at times, so I do understand the difference ; not saying you think I don't btw. No, after posting, I just thought it was worded too crudely for the forum, that's all, and I thank you for replying Biker.

Can/does anyone remember 'The Boxer'!?. he used to 'get about'! round town but was most often to be seen in Haymarket, mainly on the pavement just outside the 'Boulogne' pub (as it was back then, 80's!) where he would stand and shadow-box the lamppost for hours on end!.

Apparently, certain 'Kindhearts' that used/worked in Castle market cared for him :thumbsup:

Boxer was often accompanied, in the last few years before he 'disappeared'!, by a younger guy (nick-named) 'Sky-Walker'!, who would stand and point at the sky, then walk off and do the same thing again further up the road.

A phrase often heard when 'Sky-Walker' was around was "watch all t' idiots look up to see what he's pointing at!. makes thee wonder who's daftest!, him or them!?". :D

Though he only occasionally looks upwards, no pointing these days!, happy to report that 'Sky-Walker' is still with us, I saw him on West Street last week and looking well, Bless Him. :)

I lived on Britnall St Attercliffe. 4-6 of us boys used to play football on the street. We were 10-12 at the time.

A young lad 'bout the same age used to come and watch sometimes. His name was Malcom (it was pinned on his jumper). He dressed ok and looked normal in every respect. One day I went over to him and asked if he wanted to play. He answered with a jumble of words that none of us could understand. Some of the boys made fun of him but he laughed with them.

He never played but enjoyed watching and being outside.

One day we realized we had not seen him for 2-3 months. We never saw him again.

I now realize that he was challenged mentally and as a result could not speak coherently. He did not go to the local school so probably a special needs student. That was 55 years ago.

My question is, do these people get better assistance and help today

than they did then ? In those days some were on the streets but most if not all were harmless. Seems to me children then went out alone and came back ok. Today ?

Sadly some "characters" suffered from untreated mental illness. Pond street Nora rolling her "ciggies" which were just rolled paper which flared up when she lit them. A lad near Aston who wiggled string at road junctions.A guy who used to stand up in the Elm Tree pub swearing until one day somebody thought he was swearing at him and thumped in.A young patient at Whittington Hospital who used to wear a pair of boots out every month constantly walking at speed.He used to love to throw paper in the air.The staff had to lock their doors as he was so quick.One day a "super" salesman parked up,got out of his car to preen himself when he got in his passenger door and threw his precious paperwork in the air !!

hiya i can vouch with what you write as when i was young a chap would walk down the Moor laughing with a paper carrier bag over his head he was said to have been a spitfire pilot during the war, another walked along our street on the road and every so often would bend down and wipe his shoes toes as if he was dusting them, then there was the family when cat food started the binman once said that the used a lot of cat food then he was told yes but they've no cats, then the one in the steelworks who had the reputation of being either an ex boxer or an hardman this was due to his battered face, until one who had known him years let slip that he was a slinger for a crane and one day missed the swinging chain