Pepsi-Cola in the Sheffield sky.

Going back a bit, but who else remembers a plane accurately writing ( vapour-trailing) the Pepsi-Cola logo in the sky, presumably during its introduction into the UK. I saw it form Pond Street, not far from the single storey cafe near the Midland station which had a large, wooden board Pepsi sign up for years afterwards ; not sure if that was deliberate or a co-incidence, as it would have be seen from further away also of course.

Is that cafe still there BTW, not checked ? It was opposite where the old Inner Circle bus routes terminated.

Well, I suppose that does lead on to cafes.

Having visited Manchester often in the 70's, as Sheffield was dead at the time, you'd go a long way to beat 'Chris's cafe' on Newton Street, off Piccadilly. Of an evening, all human life was there . Prossies, drunks, trannies, the lot. The staff had scruffy overalls, fags in their gobs with ash dropping onto what they were serving. One chap found an onion ring in his tea ! Tony Warren would have had some good research for his Coronation Street characters there, he must have gone in.

The other place of note in Manchester back then was Club El Bosanova, an upstairs club by Victoria Station. Same clientele and lack of standards, your feet stuck to the carpet it was so scruffy, but what an entertainment ! A few celebs went in, probably looking for the pros or rent boys who frequented the place. "Hello handsome, not seen you in here before." " Yes you have luv, last week when I wouldn't buy you a drink and you said I was ugly !" (Sadly, that interesting Victorian block was being demolished when I passed 3 weeks back )

Sheffield had nowt to compare that I can think of, apart from one across from Jessop's Hospital in the 60's.

You have a way with words, Y53. I'm first in line to read your novel.

Thanks Dozer, but I think it would be a case of " Don't ring us, we'll ring you." Or the language-police coming to the door, more like.

" You know this stuff offends people, don't you ?"

" Yes officer, but it offends them, it doesn't offend me."

Well, I suppose that does lead on to cafes.

Having visited Manchester often in the 70's, as Sheffield was dead at the time, you'd go a long way to beat 'Chris's cafe' on Newton Street, off Piccadilly. Of an evening, all human life was there . Prossies, drunks, trannies, the lot. The staff had scruffy overalls, fags in their gobs with ash dropping onto what they were serving. One chap found an onion ring in his tea ! Tony Warren would have had some good research for his Coronation Street characters there, he must have gone in.

The other place of note in Manchester back then was Club El Bosanova, an upstairs club by Victoria Station. Same clientele and lack of standards, your feet stuck to the carpet it was so scruffy, but what an entertainment ! A few celebs went in, probably looking for the pros or rent boys who frequented the place. "Hello handsome, not seen you in here before." " Yes you have luv, last week when I wouldn't buy you a drink and you said I was ugly !" (Sadly, that interesting Victorian block was being demolished when I passed 3 weeks back )

Sheffield had nowt to compare that I can think of, apart from one across from Jessop's Hospital in the 60's.

I never knew that cafe was called Chris's but remember it well, on the left going away from Piccadilly. Am I right in thinking it stayed open all night? I know that I was never in there until well after midnight and always had liver and onions for some reason.

I didn't know El Bosanova but there were lots of places in Manchester in the late 60s/early 70s that fitted your description. Many of them were afternoon drinking clubs that started to fill up shortly after 3:00pm. The Theatre Club on Kennedy Street was the one I remember best but there was one on Whitworth Street and another on Quay Street whose names escape me. At night late drinking could be had in the Press Club which was more upmarket but harder to gain entry.

There was also one above the Grosvenor Cinema in All Saints Square which I think was called George's. Lots of unlicensed gambling in that one.

Happy memories of my misspent youth in Manchester. Thank you for taking me back. :)

Edited by Jim Hardie
Wrong street named

I never knew that cafe was called Chris's but remember it well, on the left going away from Piccadilly. Am I right in thinking it stayed open all night? I know that I was never in there until well after midnight and always had liver and onions for some reason.

I didn't know El Bosanova but there were lots of places in Manchester in the late 60s/early 70s that fitted your description. Many of them were afternoon drinking clubs that started to fill up shortly after 3:00pm. The Theatre Club on Kennedy Street was the one I remember best but there was one on Whitworth Street and another on Quay Street whose names escape me. At night late drinking could be had in the Press Club which was more upmarket but harder to gain entry.

There was also one above the Grosvenor Cinema in All Saints Square which I think was called George's. Lots of unlicensed gambling in that one.

Happy memories of my misspent youth in Manchester. Thank you for taking me back. :)

There was one just off Market st on the right were the Arndale is now called The Saxony Club,

Thanks, lads, I didn't know of those; maybe we passed in the streets back then.