Grenoside Crematorium throwing trinkets in the bin

are beautiful daughter is there leaving a three year old little girl mummys photo is there and she calls it mummys garden thats why some trinkets need to be left giraffe

Don't you actually 'buy' the plot? Therefore, isn't it yours to do what you like with as long as it's not offensive or dangerous?

People should be at least given a reason for the company's decision not to allow keepsakes/trinkets.

I thought the crematorium belonged to the council. How long as it been in private hands?

Don't you actually 'buy' the plot? Therefore, isn't it yours to do what you like with as long as it's not offensive or dangerous?

People should be at least given a reason for the company's decision not to allow keepsakes/trinkets.

I thought the crematorium belonged to the council. How long as it been in private hands?

not sure it ever belonged to the council, I am sure it did belong to the co-op prior to Dignity

not sure it ever belonged to the council, I am sure it did belong to the co-op prior to Dignity

That's correct. Its just gone from one large private company i.e. the Coop to another large private company i.e. Dignity. The Coop have made a nice £43m profit overall for selling their various cremotoria.

Interesting how there seems to be a lot of bile about private enterprise taking over the world of death but nobody really took interest the good old' Coop (despite the fact that its a national failure with various scandals occurring within their Executive Board). Yet somehow another private company takes over and it becomes a big issue.

The Coop is certainly not the friendly face of the high street anymore. For all its ethicial PR and is community spirit pretentions - Its interesting to note that just like that other shining moralistic example company Starbucks, the Coop has been doing some stealth purchases of ye olde family funeral parlours, keeping the business name, logo, documents, staffing, web presence as unbranded as possible to make people think they are going with a local enterprise as oppose some big player.

With respect to the OP, I would fully agree with the comments that this step does seem to be very undignified and unnecessary. It seems from the recent Star article that they are blaming Health and Safety and have also said that the policy was actually pre-exisitng back to the Coop days of running the cremotorium. They seem to have now made a full statement:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-crematorium-owners-dismayed-at-the-public-reaction-after-asking-relatives-to-remove-tributes-from-dead-loved-ones-memorials-1-8507691

Edited by ECCOnoob

No you don't, you rent the plot. We have just brought my sisters plaque from there before they charged us god knows what for a 16th of a tree

The area actually belonged to the MOD at one time I reckon.

I can sort of understand the whole cutting back on unauthorised trinkets, if it's impacting on other peoples plots and starting to look untidy, but I think they went about it the wrong way and got a lot of peoples backs up.

The thing about banning Michael Fogg however is disgraceful. He's the only funeral director I use. His team did my Grandma's funeral in January up at Grenoside and only last week my Grandad said he wanted to go to the same place as Grandma but unless I use another funeral director then I can't make that promise :(