Signing on advice.

Apologies if I am wrong obviously , but isnt the general Unemployment Benefit now called Universal Credit(UC)?

Universal Credit is being rolled out, but my understanding is that it isn't applicable to JSA in Sheffield yet.

One of the Benefit Calculators asks for your location and says whether UC is operative or not.

If you have £5000 i belief it is or more in savings you can't sign on as you have money to live on, so if you got that kind of savings you don't need a few quid a week from job centre

---------- Post added 23-04-2017 at 09:59 ----------

Eligible list is here https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/eligibility

Which seems very unfair to older people who have paid in all their lives but have little chance of getting another job at 60ish. They may have a little put by for their retirement, and no chance to replace it when it's gone. If they can't get benefits it will be gone in no time.

Welcome to an impoverished old age...

For a PIP claim it's about 16 weeks before you get a decision, then months waiting for an appeal date.

Which is an absolute scandal. :(

Universal Credit is being rolled out, but my understanding is that it isn't applicable to JSA in Sheffield yet.

One of the Benefit Calculators asks for your location and says whether UC is operative or not.

It is now UC in Sheffield for some people, mainly single people with no significant health problems. There is a list of "gateway conditions" that keep you out of UC and allow you to claim JSA, I will link to this when I'm on my PC. My advice is to try and stay off UC if at all possible, it's a nightmare. In terms of timescales, if you claim JSA you can expect to get a Jobcentre appointment within a week and your claim will then go live, expect first payment about a week later. With UC you have to wait 6-7 weeks to get a payment.

Edit: here are the gateway conditions http://universalcreditinfo.net/postcode?q=s1+1AA

Have a look through and see if there is anything that excludes you from Universal Credit. If you can't find anything you will have to claim UC (bad luck), if any of the gateway conditions applies to you, you can claim JSA.

There is a gateway condition that you "must not be waiting for a decision on housing benefit; tax credits; ‘old style’ employment and support allowance/jobseeker’s allowance; or income support". I don't know anyone who's tried this yet, but you could bung in a housing benefit claim first, you are then technically awaiting a decision on housing benefit so could arguably then claim JSA.

Edited by Bob Arctor

Wasn't Universal Credit supposed to be an improvement?

What are the problems with it? Has anybody on here any experience of UC?

Wasn't Universal Credit supposed to be an improvement?

What are the problems with it? Has anybody on here any experience of UC?

Would also like an answer to this.