VW emission scandal

Not just VW it seems, other manufacturers are in the firing line for quoting highly dodgy figures. The quicker car manufacturers drop diesel cars altogether the better.

Has anyone had their cars updated with the emission software update. If so have you faced any problems after the fix e.g EGR failure, loud engine noise, car loosing power, putting more diesel in the car as normal. Have you been charged to repair your car. If you have get in touch!

Has anyone had their cars updated with the emission software update. If so have you faced any problems after the fix

We've had the update on my OH's car, no issues at all.

So you are happy buying something that has been falsely advertised?

The issues with this case were;

Higher running costs because the miles/gallon performance was significantly lower than stated.

Higher pollution output especially NOX particles.

Lower government tax revenues because they are not paying the correct amount of tax for the respective output of the cars.

Lower resale value.

who really cares ?? not me, who really looks at running costs on a day to day basis? nobody really, pollution change is so minimal its hard to measure.

lower tax is a good thing.

really lower resale? i doubt it

We've had the update on my OH's car, no issues at all.

Oops, might have been a bit prem on that one.

We haven't used the car much, but OH noticed it's doing the DPF regen lots more than usual (fan staying on).

Went out for ~100 mile round trip to relations in it today and it started juddering & entered limp mode. Couldn't get it over 30mph... Anyways pulled over, turned off and on again, and it seemed to be OK.

Had a quick google and it looks like this is happening to a lot of people who've had the update done, I guess my EGR valve will be popping in the next few days judging by the results of the search.

Advice from Honest John is don't have the update done, too many failures afterwards to be a coincidence.

Interesting phonecall with VW on the horizon methinks.

I heard something on BBC news, just now, about tighter MOT standards for nox emission under EU laws.

This is all I could find on Google

A second stage of Euro 6 is due to introduced in 2017, when cars will be tested to meet the limits in a variety of on-road conditions – proving that the huge reductions in emissions are delivered outside of the lab and on the road.

I also heard in the news about an engineer in the USA being sent to prison, nothing in this country. Our Government seem to be ok with big companies breaking the law.

Edited by El Cid

As far as I'm aware there are currently no serious plans to change the MOT emissions test for diesel cars, it's the same test cars have been taking for decades, very outdated and basically a waste of time.

As far as I'm aware there are currently no serious plans to change the MOT emissions test for diesel cars, it's the same test cars have been taking for decades, very outdated and basically a waste of time.

Its a good that we are in the EU then ;)

Euro standards for cars have gone from :-

0.97 Diesel NOx

0.14 Deisel PM

0.08 Diesel NOx

0.0045 Diesel PM

There may have been some fiddling, but todays cars must be cleaner, but more of them.

MOT testing for emissions has changed over the years, the details I am unsure of.

https://www.smmt.co.uk/industry-topics/emissions/testing/

---------- Post added 27-08-2017 at 12:14 ----------

From February 2014 the inspection of the exhaust system carried out during the MoT test will include a check for the presence of a DPF. A missing DPF, where one was fitted when the vehicle was built, will result in an MoT failure.