How many parliamentary seats will Labour hold on 9th June?

How many seats will Labour hold on 9th June?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. How many seats will Labour hold on 9th June?

• About the same (220-240)
    • It will be terrible for Labour - Less than 100
    • It will be bad for Labour - 100-220
    • Labour will gain but not a majority - 240-324
    • Labour's wildest dreams a working majority - more than 325

The problem I was trying to highlight was the sheer logistics of trying to repair the damage done in the 80's and thereafter.

Those pits have been backfilled, concreted over and industrial parks built on them.

The pits themselves, and the men who worked in them evolved over centuries to become what they were, miners were indeed a breed apart from the rest of the working class.

Apart from this, deep mine working is not really a pleasant task, and without the close knit fraternity that existed in the old pits, I cannot see many people wanting to do that work.

As has been said, it would require a complete rethink on how to go about the task.

Like most other undesirable jobs in the country, we would eventually have to import labour to do it, which will result in the same people calling for the mines to be re-opened, claiming johnny foreigner is taking all their jobs :roll:

My two penny's worth on the coal mine issue.

It would cost a fortune to try and reopen mines and new ones will need to be commissioned. You will not find many people willing to work in those conditions unless paid well which would also make the coal very expensive to mine.

The post 104 by Jacktari sums it up well and I cannot see why Corbyn even mentions it.

As the move away from fossil power seems to be gathering pace where would you sell the coal?

My two penny's worth on the coal mine issue.

It would cost a fortune to try and reopen mines and new ones will need to be commissioned. You will not find many people willing to work in those conditions unless paid well which would also make the coal very expensive to mine.

The post 104 by Jacktari sums it up well and I cannot see why Corbyn even mentions it.

In my opinion; and obviously not one enjoyed by the excitable Corbynisatas on this thread, is that he said he'd open the mines if it was viable to do so in an obvious attempt to garner support from the South Wales and North East ex coal mining communities he said it in. It was all quietly forgotten afterwards, and indeed flatly denied it was said at all.

Corbyn is as much of a politician as anyone else, he knows how to play the games, the only people who can't spot that are his supporters. If you can't see where your preferred politician fails without you quickly shifting the blame to someone else, then you aren't looking properly. Every politician gets things wrong at some time and forensic levels of proof isn't needed to read between the lines of what they are saying.

Typical media. They attack Corbyn from all sides. But Boris Johnson calls him a "mutton headed mugwump" and there's outrage.

I've no time for the lot of them.

'Why is acquiescence to the majority viewed as better servitude than bowing to great might ? I don't believe in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.' Thos. Carlyle.

Typical media. They attack Corbyn from all sides. But Boris Johnson calls him a "mutton headed mugwump" and there's outrage.

I think Boris described comrade corbyn perfectly.

As the move away from fossil power seems to be gathering pace where would you sell the coal?

Yes, that is another point.

When power stations were first being built, in the 19th and early twentieth century, the only fuel was coal. So obviously all plant was built to use coal, a brutal fuel to win.

As time has moved on, we are discovering far better methods, which have less effect on humans, and the planet.

In the grand scheme of things, all methods of using power will have detrimental effect, as something cannot be obtained from nothing.

Solar power is probably the way forward.

If the total output of the Sun could be harnessed for one second, it would supply mankind's needs for one million years.

Even though we will only ever be able to obtain the merest fraction of that the potential is colossal.

I think Boris described comrade corbyn perfectly.

Mutton headed is just being rude, presumably for the alliteration. However, mugwump (which I had to look up) is perfect. He was right to say it.

Mutton headed is just being rude, presumably for the alliteration. However, mugwump (which I had to look up) is perfect. He was right to say it.

Mutton headed would be correct also.

He is a brexiter, is he not, and they are all sheep.

Lambs to the slaughter.

Yes, that is another point.

When power stations were first being built, in the 19th and early twentieth century, the only fuel was coal. So obviously all plant was built to use coal, a brutal fuel to win.

As time has moved on, we are discovering far better methods, which have less effect on humans, and the planet.

In the grand scheme of things, all methods of using power will have detrimental effect, as something cannot be obtained from nothing.

Solar power is probably the way forward.

If the total output of the Sun could be harnessed for one second, it would supply mankind's needs for one million years.

Even though we will only ever be able to obtain the merest fraction of that the potential is colossal.

we need to build a Dyson sphere

In Spain and Portugal I have seen acres of solar panels in various locations, thousands, shoulder to shoulder, row on row. Some academic has suggested having millions of them out in the uninhabited Sahara desert, piped to Europe and elsewhere, giving cheap, clean power and some income to the poorer host nations.

What's betting that the bills would stay the same though !

In Spain and Portugal I have seen acres of solar panels in various locations, thousands, shoulder to shoulder, row on row. Some academic has suggested having millions of them out in the uninhabited Sahara desert, piped to Europe and elsewhere, giving cheap, clean power and some income to the poorer host nations.

What's betting that the bills would stay the same though !

Don't be daft, the consumer will end up paying like it always does.