A major stroke.

A friend of mine suffered a major stroke 18 months ago aged 54. It totally immobilised him. He is already walking about 200 yards daily and can cook and dress himself. All with time of course. Will he ever recover totally and is he likely to suffer another one similar? He is and was a non smoker and only a social drinker and not overweight . He had moderately high blood pressure but other wise fit and healthy

A friend of mine suffered a major stroke 18 months ago aged 54. It totally immobilised him. He is already walking about 200 yards daily and can cook and dress himself. All with time of course. Will he ever recover totally and is he likely to suffer another one similar? He is and was a non smoker and only a social drinker and not overweight . He had moderately high blood pressure but other wise fit and healthy

How longs a bit of string?

My grandpa with no modern medicine to speak of was in a coma and almost fully recovered within a couple of years. Some slight weakness in left foot, doc passed him fit to drive an automatic and he went of for years afterwards with no other problems.

Guy down the street from me ten years back had a smaller one, needed constant daily care as he was totally paralysed and wasted down one side. Still able to play a mean game of chess though.

If your friend is getting better still and improving then that's only a good sign. The docs said to my grandpa that most improvement occurs in the first two years afterwards as a very rough rule of thumb but that nothing is guaranteed and you shouldn't ever give up on things.

So fingers crossed I guess and I hope your friend carries on improving and is taking whatever the docs are prescribing for prevention (I presume they are? If not might be worth asking if they should be..)

Has he asked this question of the Consultant responsible for his care and the stroke rehabilitation team ?

Every stroke is different in it's severity and, more importantly, it's cause.

Has he asked this question of the Consultant responsible for his care and the stroke rehabilitation team ?

Every stroke is different in it's severity and, more importantly, it's cause.

OT Congratulations.

OT Congratulations.

Bit of advice mate - never post when you have had a few sherbets :rolleyes:

Ah - thanks - I think ?:)