Europe Cars 1960's

Reading through this topic brought back many memories from the 1970s,i worked at Arundel motors a.k.a Askeys haulage also on middlewood road.The building was later taken on by Gilders as a commercial workshop.

Hi Choogling,i used to

know old Harold Askey when he used to serve on the pumps there sometimes i was only 17 then and he always said good Morning to me and i would reply saying morning Mr Askey he used to have a brown smock coat on.There fleet was all Bedfords then and we used to share tools etc like i used to cut valves on their cutter and they would use our gear as well.Alan was only young as well then.I got to know a lot of them who worked there alas most are gone now.Arundel Garage was founded by Mr Arundel who i think lived down Broughton Rd he used to bring an od Rover to me in the 70s for MOT.

Edited by bullerboY

I thought the boss was called harry ,alan and jean took over when he died.The fleet were all petrol bedfords tks apart from the alloy bodied albion that did the daily Runcorn salt run.

Edited by choogling

Sorry Choogling senior moment it was Harold Askey. When i was up there the wagons were all O and A model bedfords and a couple of ex army square fronted ones There was a petrol kiosk on the forecourt where they sold bits and pieces from and it was a red ash covering on the ground.You may have known my mate Tony whose mum and dad had the transport cafe across the road a bit higher up,he fell off the back of a wagon and broke his leg big style and it finishes his driving.

Edited by bullerboY

Sorry Choogling senior moment it was Harold Askey. When i was up there the wagons were all O and A model bedfords and a couple of ex army square fronted ones There was a petrol kiosk on the forecourt where they sold bits and pieces from and it was a red ash covering on the ground.You may have known my mate Tony whose mum and dad had the transport cafe across the road a bit higher up,he fell off the back of a wagon and broke his leg big style and it finishes his driving.

yes tony was a top guy, still see him sometimes down broomhead res.

My father bought one car from Europa Cars and then when he moved to NCU Prinz 1200 bought that from Waldot service centre. He followed a mechanic to get his repairs done Peter Grayson to Meersbrook Garage and he opened his own garage near the bottom of Archer rd.

Peter the pipe Grayson yes i remember him well,he made a big mistake working for Jan Padzierski probably the reason he left and went on his own.Jan sacked me when i was 17 because he called me a liar saying i had broken a bolt in a water pump and i stood up to him and he didnt like a 17 yr old kid standing up to a 17stone wrestler,i put my tools on the motorbike and he ran after me saying he was sorry yeh tough and i went.Years later when Walter Dungworth gave him a dealership in NSUs he sent one of his minions to poach me and i sent him packing.A couple of weeks later Jan was walking down the yard I was a fair bit older then and no longer a little boy and i collared him and told him straight that if he ever tried it on with anyone there i would make sure his dealership would be blowing in the wind.Took me a long time but revenge was sweet.

Edited by bullerboY

Peter the pipe Grayson yes i remember him well,he made a big mistake working for Jan Padzerski probably the reason he left and went on his own.Jan sacked me when i was 17 because he called me a liar saying i had broken a bolt in a water pump and i stood up to him and he didnt like a 17 yr old kid standing up to a 17stone wrestler,i put my tools on the motorbike and he ran after me saying he was sorry yeh tough and i went.Years later when Walter Dungworth gave him a dealership in NSUs he sent one off his minions to poach me and i sent him packing.A couple of weeks later Jan was walking down the yard I was a fair it older then and no longer a little boy and i collared him and told him straight that if he ever tried it on with anyone there i would make sure his dealership would be blowing in the wind.Took me a long time but revenge was sweet.

i worked for jan in the early seventies at millhouse garage hoyland,by this time he had acquired the Datsun dealership but we struggled to get the new cars we needed but dc cook always had them, we could have sold any we got they were so popular.i left to work as a labourer in the building trade for double the money he was paying.

I remember him having Millhouse garage choogling,Jan could be alright at times but when he was in a bad mood he was a prat.His mate at Meersbrook was Toni Dalli the singer and he came in regular. Last i heard of him he was in Spain,he also owned Continental Car Spares on Abbeydale rd ansd Steve Kay ran it for him before going on to form Kirkby and Kay at Orgreave before Steve went on

his own as Sheffield Imported Motor Factors.I worked at Meersbrook in 1958 but only for a few months but i got to know a lot about bodywork and painting and rubbing down.