Reporting drivers

Give the guy a break, there was no danger and the filter light should have been on. He's only trying to earn a living.

No it shouldn't. The filter light does not come on in those circumstances < Fact

The red light applies to the left turn as well as straight ahead as there is also a pedestrian signal crossing the left turn lane < Fact

The pedestrian crossing man MAY also be on green at that moment < Guess

Edited by Squiggs

It wasn't specifically about driving, but the notion of us all generally "policing each other" is straight out of 1984.

Well, of course, there's a sensible balance to be had.

If I saw someone reckless driving and almost colliding with a child (or anyone) for example; am I being a puppet of the state by reporting it? Or am I engaging with society in a way that hopefully makes it a safer better place for all? (well, better for all apart from reckless idiots who put others in danger)

Edited by Waldo

Send it in.

With the proliferation of dash-cams; we should be reporting this kind of driving and sending evidence in to the police to process (and possibly charge or fine any offender).

Surely, it can only be a good thing, if we're policing each other's driving?

I'll bet your attitude would soon change if you make an innocent mistake whilst out on the road ,and subsequently got a call from the boys in blue.

I'll bet your attitude would soon change if you make an innocent mistake whilst out on the road ,and subsequently got a call from the boys in blue.

Jumping a red light is a show of poor driving and there should be more red light cameras. It's incredibly dangerous to pedestrians as well as other drivers expecting their route to be clear, and it would be considered driving with undue care and attention at the absolute minimum if witnessed by a police officer. Why do people think you should get away with something simply because there wasn't a copper around to see it? The danger and risk is the same...and of course I'd be annoyed if I got a ticket through for it, but equally I'd accept it and be more careful in future. What cyclones video shows is someone not making an innocent mistake, but actively deciding to run a red light and that's even worse.

I'll bet your attitude would soon change if you make an innocent mistake whilst out on the road ,and subsequently

got a call from the boys in blue.

Dashcams, an excuse for sanctimonious busybodies (Cyclists and drivers) to feel important. But they never report/post their own mistakes.

No it shouldn't. The filter light does not come on in those circumstances < Fact

The red light applies to the left turn as well as straight ahead as there is also a pedestrian signal crossing the left turn lane < Fact

The pedestrian crossing man MAY also be on green at that moment < Guess

What is the filter light for if not to allow traffic through when the tram from Malin Bridge is turning right to go up Langsett Road?

Why not? What am I missing here? If you agree with the laws we have then why wouldn't people be expected to assist the police uphold them?

It'll get pernicious. Something like a Stasi state.

Dashcams, an excuse for sanctimonious busybodies (Cyclists and drivers) to feel important. But they never report/post their own mistakes.

If you crash in to me Ill have a chunk of proof its my fault and not yours.

Soon they'll be hardware/software on all cars which will automatically detect all driver error, such as exceeding speed limits and running red lights, and alert authorities to the error and where and when it occurred.

Soon they'll be hardware/software on all cars which will automatically detect all driver error, such as exceeding speed limits and running red lights, and alert authorities to the error and where and when it occurred.

And you think thats a bad thing? Id make dash cams mandatory on new vehicles - takes alot of the guesswork out of who did what.

I'll bet your attitude would soon change if you make an innocent mistake whilst out on the road, and subsequently got a call from the boys in blue.

Yeah, I may well be peeved.

Still, if I'd been driving in a careless reckless manner; it's better for everyone if I'm pulled up on it. I don't see how people have a problem with something that would make the roads a safer place for all.

How do you innocently sit at a red traffic light before deciding to drive through it despite it still being red?

---------- Post added 19-04-2017 at 17:51 ----------

Well, of course, there's a sensible balance to be had.

If I saw someone reckless driving and almost colliding with a child (or anyone) for example; am I being a puppet of the state by reporting it? Or am I engaging with society in a way that hopefully makes it a safer better place for all? (well, better for all apart from reckless idiots who put others in danger)

Hopefully we'd all report an assault, a burglary or so on if we saw it happening.

We wouldn't report minor traffic infringements I guess.

But deliberately running a red light, that's not that minor really.

---------- Post added 19-04-2017 at 17:52 ----------

People are unlikely to be reporting themselves, I agree.

On the other hand, I don't jump red lights, so I've got nothing to report. :roll: