What's May up to? General election 08/06/2017

Back in the real world.

Latest yougov poll has literally twice as many people planning to vote Conservative as Labour. I'm not kidding it's actually a factor of 2: 48% to 24%

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/category/voting-intention

ICM polls from the day before indicate 44% to 26.

If the Conservatives actually get 50% of the vote, will their democratic right to govern and to implement Brexit finally be recognised.

I'm sure there will be some excuse to declare them illegitimate. Tough though. Best start working on it now.

Give it a break. You're going to do yourself a mischief being so het up all the time.

Just let the process take its course.

Guest sibon

If the Conservatives actually get 50% of the vote, will their democratic right to govern and to implement Brexit finally be recognised.

I'm sure there will be some excuse to declare them illegitimate. Tough though. Best start working on it now.

They wont get 50%, the electorate is far too sophisticated to allow that to happen.

In any case, what makes you think that the Tory party is 100% for Brexit? There are a few Tory voters and many existing Tory MPs with the intelligence to realise that the EU is a club worth belonging to.

To flip the question. If the Remain coalition gets off the ground, how big would their vote need to be to challenge the inevitability of Brexit?

Maybe people who pay more in taxes than they take out struggle to see the benefit of putting more of their hard earned money into a black hole that is the taxman's purse.

If the money was spent on reasonable things rather than lunatic things such as pointless nuclear missiles, for instance, people may find things more acceptable. What possible use is a nuclear weapon to a third rate power such as the UK is shortly to become?

I have said it a few times now, spend our money on our health and well being, not on crazy schemes to kill people who are no threat to us.

So from this can we infer that if they don't get 50% you will accept that they don't have a democratic right to govern and to implement Brexit?

I'm sure you will still find some excuse to declare them legitimate.

What possible use is a nuclear weapon to a third rate power such as the UK is shortly to become?

Keeps us pally with Mr Trump, paying him to look after his missiles for him.

0.05% (Robin Hood tax) alone would bring in more than £200 Billion.

0.05% is a very small increase. The seriously rich wouldn't even miss it.

But I'd just be happy if they paid 30% on ALL their wealth, like everyone else. As long as it was on ALL of it. That means not hiding it away in tax havens, and using fancy tax avoidance schemes.

5 basis points on a transaction making 8 to 13 points profit is a tax of 30 %

That i can assure you they will notice

They wont get 50%, the electorate is far too sophisticated to allow that to happen.

And yet the so called uneducated and misinformed electorate voted with a 51.9% majority for Brexit, so are they now classed as sophisticated as well? :huh:

Guest sibon
And yet the so called uneducated and misinformed electorate voted with a 51.9% majority for Brexit, so are they now classed as sophisticated as well? :huh:

You seem to think so.

No one would ever classify them as anything but uneducated and misinformed, don't worry about that.

They would be mortified to be classed as sophisticated.

Probably because most of them would not know what it meant.

In February 1983 in Australia on the back of very strong opinion polls the Conservative Prime Minister Malcolm Fraser dissolved Parliament going for the same advantage that Theresa is after.

The same day, trailing badly in the polls Labour dropped it's leader Bill Hayden and elected Bob Hawke as interim leader, he led Labour to victory in March winning 75 out of the 125 seats in the House of Representatives.

Have the British Labour Party the cojones to follow suit and win the day?

Err, no not really, lets continue with the ideological internal navel gazing BS and allow the Tory's to win an overwhelming victory allowing them to claim a mandate to do whatever they wish.

Thanks for putting your own personal concerns before the needs of the people you claim to represent Labour.

And they wonder why not enough people vote for them?

Most of us are looking for a party we can have some reliance on, not a party that is more concerned with its own internal problems.

You seem to think so.

No, its simply what you have just implied.

I'd class them as brainwashed.

I've never seen so many people angry about questioning of their choice because they have 'carried out their own research'

Somebody needs to point out to them - in the most gentle terms possible to avoid outbursts about enemies of the people, saboteurs etc... - that reading the Sun and/or the Daily Mail is not research.

Edited by I1L2T3