What's May up to? General election 08/06/2017

Per transaction, an absolutely tiny fraction of 1. In total, absolutely millions.

You might want to look some of this stuff up. You're very quick with the whole "you don't agree with me therefore you've misunderstood" line. That's going to cause problems for you if you display wilful ignorance of that which you can easily learn.

Are you sure you are not mixing up people with profits here?

There are not millions of people involved in high volume share trading.

Are you sure you are not mixing up people with profits here?

There are not millions of people involved in high volume share trading.

But the shares are ultimately shares in real companies. And moving their ownership around is economically useful. Without it, the economy would be smaller and everybody would be worse off.

All of which is irrelevant to the point Hairyloon was making which was that such trading doesn't require lots of people.

whilst it may or may not be economically useful you cannot present that fact as a valid point when the debate point is about something else entirely

HL pointed out that you don't need many people to trade large volumes of shares.

He is right. Point made, by him and time to move on.

All of which is irrelevant to the point Hairyloon was making which was that such trading doesn't require lots of people.

whilst it may or may not be economically useful you cannot present that fact as a valid point when the debate point is about something else entirely

HL pointed out that you don't need many people to trade large volumes of shares.

He is right. Point made, by him and time to move on.

That's not the point he was making. Re-read post 335.

I've read it. There isn't much in the way of people or profits in merely brokering securities. Unless you mean in speculation which isn't the same as brokerage.

I've read it. There isn't much in the way of people or profits in merely brokering securities. Unless you mean in speculation which isn't the same as brokerage.

Not directly. But all economic activity which contributes to the value of the economy overall has value which ultimately feeds through to jobs.

Not directly.

Good. Since you've acknowledged the point raised perhaps we can move on now your thoroughly derailed the thread.

Good. Since you've acknowledged the point raised perhaps we can move on now your thoroughly derailed the thread.

I never claimed it was direct. Straw man.

Yes ive noticed you do raise a lot of strawmen. Please stop it.

But the shares are ultimately shares in real companies.

But that does not create employment.

And moving their ownership around is economically useful. Without it, the economy would be smaller and everybody would be worse off.

That used to be the case, when investments were actually invested by people in people and projects. Those days are long gone: most of the investments are made by money for money's sake.

The human element has gone and the markets are driven by the Love of Money.

My opinion on this is as valuable and as worthless as everyone else's. I have only ever been impressed by two politicians: One is Jacob Rees Mogg. He has an almost total recall of government policy, history, facts and figures and never seems flustered or confused. And Frank Field, who, to me at least, was genuine.

I think Ruth Davidson and Andy Burnham are likeable. I liked Vince Cable when he was around. And the late Charles Kennedy was a good egg.

Otherwise.....meh.

I did used to think that Ruth Davidson was likeable until recently, when she supported Osborne's final gift to the country, the 'child tax credit rape clause.' Surely one of the most jarring and obnoxious policies you could think of, irrespective of your political allegiance.

The human element has gone and the markets are driven by the Love of Money.

I invest in shares, and my pension fund, am I a bad person?