New speeding fines, the way forward.

Do you think you get fined if you don't speed?

If you cant match the speed on the dial thingy in the car to the speed on the big posts on the roadside then really you only have yourself to blame.

Where did I say I that and where did I say I can't match the speed on the signs?

This is a thread where wind up merchants can have a field day

This is a thread where wind up merchants can have a field day

And here you are.

---------- Post added 18-04-2017 at 16:57 ----------

Considering 112,000 people were fined for speeding on just the motorway network in 2014 alone that would be an awful lot of people doing community service. Who is going to pay for that logistical nightmare?

Angelfire's response was so typical of the 'it's everyone's fault but mine and I'm being screwed!' brigade.

Don't blame the government. Man up, take the fine and move on. Or sort out your heavy right foot.

For the richer people in society, community service is more of penalty than a fine. If you are on NMW and get a speeding ticket then the impact to you is far greater than someone who earns £50k a year, so the punishment is not equal. Community service takes away the same amount of time from each person doing it so is much fairer. Logistic aside, it's the "right" way of tackling crimes like this, and even taking them into account, how much good stuff do you think 112,000 days of free labour could achieve if organised properly?

And here you are.

---------- Post added 18-04-2017 at 16:57 ----------

For the richer people in society, community service is more of penalty than a fine. If you are on NMW and get a speeding ticket then the impact to you is far greater than someone who earns £50k a year, so the punishment is not equal. Community service takes away the same amount of time from each person doing it so is much fairer. Logistic aside, it's the "right" way of tackling crimes like this, and even taking them into account, how much good stuff do you think 112,000 days of free labour could achieve if organised properly?

If....

See Andrejuan's post.

Also, there will still be points issued. Losing your licence will affect both rich and poor alike, no? Mr Bigshot might have to catch the bus for a while with the plebs. I'm sure he will love that!

Edited by MamboNo5

why do we insist on punishing people for motoring offences if its not just about raising money, we are constantly told that punishing offenders for other crimes like burglary,vandalism etc doesnt work only rehabilitation works.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/feeling-our-way/201401/punishment-doesnt-work

http://help4teachers.com/punishment.htm

New speeding fines(from 24/04/17) means that, for speeding, the Government are doing away with fixed fines; and motorists will now be fined a percentage of their income.

The fines will be between 50% and 150% of a persons weekly income, up to a maximum of £2,500

The speeding fine is to be capped at £2,500 for those caught speeding on the motorway, and £1,000 everywhere else.

It should mean that more money will be raised from fines, which is surely a good thing, and it will be slightly fairer.

If only this could be applied in other areas of criminality, but over time this may well happen.

Consultation last year showed that many magistrates and criminal justice professionals felt the current sentencing guidelines "did not properly take into account the increase in potential harm that can result as speed above the speed limit increases".

https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/motoring/cars/using/the-uks-new-speeding-fines-explained

Which of course, as we all know is the sole intention of speed cameras . Always has been about raising revenue , always will be. This new legislation just adds further proof to that.

---------- Post added 18-04-2017 at 19:14 ----------

The Swiss have a similar system.

---------- Post added 17-04-2017 at 22:48 ----------

True though. Isn't it?

Ive never once been caught be a speed camera. I always make sure i slow down to the speed limit as i approach one.

Ive never once been caught be a speed camera. I always make sure i slow down to the speed limit as i approach one.

Then why did you post this in September in relation to speed awareness courses?

I went on one last year. I was bored to death and struggling to stay awake . It was four hours of my life i wont get back.

I like this idea from Sweden:

https://www.wired.com/2010/12/swedish-speed-camera-pays-drivers-to-slow-down/

"As well as ticketing you when you run through a speed-radar too fast, Kevin’s “Speed Camera Lottery” also notices you when you come in at or under the speed-limit. It then automatically enters you in a lottery. And here’s the really smart part: the prizes come from the fines paid by speeders."

Guest sibon

Snigger:D

I said speed cameras . It was a mobile scamera van hid round a bend who got me. I know where all the static cameras are in sheffield and Barnsley so they arnt a problem.

Cameras aren't the problem are they, cameras are there to take piccies of the problem, and if I could stand by the side of the road earning money taking snapshots of silly people I'd do the same.

Edited by silentP

I have just been reading about the new Speeding Legislation and can see how drivers will be categorised into A,B & C bands regarding seriousness of offences. "Drivers could be fined over 150% etc of their weekly income!" That's all well and good but a lot of people who drive are on Benefits. Can anyone explain how that works with them because l can't find anything talking about that. Surely if l'm working and doing 60mph in a 40mph zone and someone unemployed is doing the same he/she should be fined exactly the same. Crazy Country we live in.