WW3 hide-aways.

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about this. Chances are you'll be sat in your pants watching telly, they'll be a flash, you'll turn into mush and game over.

Personally I would not survive I am not going to pretend I am some kind of Rambo, I am on the verge of tears if I run out of pods for my Tassimo so I doubt I would survive a couple of days Bear Grills style.

Yeah, but running out of pods for your Tassimo is bloody tragic! You should get a Nespresso machine, you can get automatic repeat deliveries set up. Admittedly, they aren't cheap!

You would be slap bang in one of the most contested pieces of land in history!
That I do know, from the history of past family generations. My great grandfather's English schoolbook (for German-speaking children) has always had pride of place on a display shelf of my home office library, as a token reminder. And our dog still eats from the same (period) Made in Germany, Swastika-emblazoned plate, as generations of family dogs have since 1945 ;)

It's also how and why there's long been a lot of "stashed stuff" (and I don't just mean offensive/lethal, but also survival generally), here, there and everywhere...and how and why the local Gendarmes have never said or done much of anything about it, even though they've known who's got what (- on paper at least) for decades. Was probably tolerated under "Cold War prepping" for as long, and apathy's done the rest.

The point was never to fight and stop T-72s, it's always been to survive after they've passed through. Not really a consideration I'd expect many Brits to have (-had at the time), what with the Channel in the way (-like last time ;))

Any need for a groundsman? Can kill gut and skin anything from a tortoise up to a cow and know one end of the rifle from the other if you need border security? :)
We're a friendly, non-banjo playing bunch, so if you bring skills, knowledge and maybe an old (EMP-proof) Landy or the like, we'd have the friendly room and use for them all. Always been plenty of wild boars and deers about, big-ish fishing lakes (as in, large enough to have a couple marinas) 4 miles away as the crow flies :D Edited by L00b

Why not read what I have written several times now?

The fire at Chernobyl resulted from an out of control nuclear reaction.

A fire resulting from the water boiling off spent fuel pools cannot go critical and hence would not be a Chernobyl-like fire.

I'm not trying to score points. I'm pointing out the ignorance in describing any fire at a nuclear facility as Chernobyl-like. That is the point I latched onto from the beginning.

---------- Post added 18-04-2017 at 12:15 ----------

With respect, you seem to be telling me things I know.

Look at my first response in this thread to I1L2T3.

See how he said Chernobyl-like fire? I took issue with that. He replied saying he wasn't just thinking about reactors. Chernobyl was a reactor so can you see my point about the fire? He said he was thinking about fires resulting after water boils when power is lost to cooling of the spent fuel. I reiterated this wouldn't be a Chernobyl-like fire then, because it's not from an out of control reaction. Spent fuel pools won't go critical.

He then changed the scenario completely. It wasn't just loss of cooling to the spent fuel, the facility had been hit a nuclear strike.

My only point, which I don't think I1L2T3 will ever get his head around, is not every fire at a nuclear facility, should be described as Chernobyl-like.

He says I've latched onto that one point. Yes, yes I have. So? I've made that clear three time now.

Chernobyl was bad because it vented fission products into the atmosphere.

Any fire that does that - be it from uncontained core inventory, removed hot fuel or whatever has the same effect and can be sensibly described as a Chernobyl like fire in view of the end effects of that fire.

If you are burnt by a flame you don't quibble about the source of the heat from gas, coal, woodfire, oil, paraffin - you care that it's hot.

Similarly you don't care about how it was released - you care about the end products of that release.

---------- Post added 18-04-2017 at 12:23 ----------

We're a friendly, non-banjo playing bunch, so if you bring skills, knowledge and maybe an old (EMP-proof) Landy or the like, we'd have the friendly room and use for them all. Always been plenty of wild boars and deers about, big-ish fishing lakes (as in, large enough to have a couple marinas) 4 miles away as the crow flies :D

Ukelele? Or a violin?

Have Landy in Oxford green. Very non conspicuous and it even has EMP hardening apparently. Although not tested per se for obvious reasons....

Chernobyl was bad because it vented fission products into the atmosphere.

Any fire that does that - be it from uncontained core inventory, removed hot fuel or whatever has the same effect and can be sensibly described as a Chernobyl like fire in view of the end effects of that fire.

If you are burnt by a flame you don't quibble about the source of the heat from gas, coal, woodfire, oil, paraffin - you care that it's hot.

Similarly you don't care about how it was released - you care about the end products of that release.

So, because we leveled Dresden in WWII it would be fair to say we dropped a Hiroshima like bomb on it?

No. That would be absurd and fear mongering wouldn't it?

You cant say any fire at a nuclear facility is Chernobyl-like.

He could have said Chernobyl-like contamination. He chose to use fire. It was wrong.

Yeah, but running out of pods for your Tassimo is bloody tragic! You should get a Nespresso machine, you can get automatic repeat deliveries set up. Admittedly, they aren't cheap!

Actually whilst everyone else is stocking up on tinned food, I can top up on Tassimo pods. I am sure they'll have long dates on them.

So, because we leveled Dresden in WWII it would be fair to say we dropped a Hiroshima like bomb on it?

No. That would be absurd and fear mongering wouldn't it?

You cant say any fire at a nuclear facility is Chernobyl-like.

He could have said Chernobyl-like contamination. He chose to use fire. It was wrong.

No because an important effect of the blast would be missing.

In a actinide fuel fire, the resuls. you know I don't care. Someone it appears is more caring about point scoring than debating the actual important part of the issue. You know what was meant, he knows what was meant, the world knows.

Look at this lot, even after a massive nuclear strike against the UK the SF massive are still arguing about something :hihi:

The next war won't be nuclear, it will (mostly) be conventional and it will be messy. I'll be up in Scotland, maybe the Shetlands. Plenty of old bunkers and structures related to the Navy activities there and opportunities to grow your own food and live of the land.

Trumps golf course will take a hit, just for spite.

No because an important effect of the blast would be missing.

In a actinide fuel fire, the resuls. you know I don't care. Someone it appears is more caring about point scoring than debating the actual important part of the issue. You know what was meant, he knows what was meant, the world knows.

I didn't originally know what he meant when he said Chernobyl-like fires. Hence my first reply.

It was fun watching him twist and turn and try and explain what he meant, going from loss of power to coolant to a direct hit from a nuclear missile.

I accept he meant contamination. I now bow out. I will leave you nuclear experts to be experts on every other topic as well.

You guys have a lot of time to be experts on everything. When do you actually work?

The next war won't be nuclear, it will (mostly) be conventional and it will be messy. I'll be up in Scotland, maybe the Shetlands. Plenty of old bunkers and structures related to the Navy activities there and opportunities to grow your own food and live of the land.

Scotland is one of the most militarised countries around, after all the submarine bases, underground munitions bunkers and other huge military interests have been dealt with up there hardly anything will be left.

Trumps golf course will take a hit, just for spite.

I'll go and dig it up myself before they realise that should be a target. I have a feeling that a LOT of locals would jump at the chance actually! Anarchy for all :love:

---------- Post added 18-04-2017 at 13:01 ----------

Scotland is one of the most militarised countries around, after all the submarine bases, underground munitions bunkers and other huge military interests have been dealt with up there hardly anything will be left.

Almost all on the Clyde, 200 miles south (minimum) of where I'll be. They might try and hit the 2nd WW fuel bunker on the Firth of Cromarty, but I doubt it as it is practically impenetrable and has been empty for decades. In fact, that gives me a great idea for a place to hide! :help:

I'll go and dig it up myself before they realise that should be a target. I have a feeling that a LOT of locals would jump at the chance actually! Anarchy for all :love:

---------- Post added 18-04-2017 at 13:01 ----------

Almost all on the Clyde, 200 miles south (minimum) of where I'll be. They might try and hit the 2nd WW fuel bunker on the Firth of Cromarty, but I doubt it as it is practically impenetrable and has been empty for decades. In fact, that gives me a great idea for a place to hide! :help:

Is there space for one more :(