Death on Langsett Rd Oughtibridge : Highways have been warned before.

There was a motorcyclist killed on Langsett Rd Oughtibridge (going out towards Wharncliffe Side) this morning.

Accidents have been occurring there regularly including this one in June 2016 reported to the Council last year :

I was going for a walk round Oughtibridge today and heard a car hammering it northbound along Langsett Rd, approaching that blind bend just past where the limit changes to 50mph, Nothing unusual there, loads of cretins do that, they either have to brake again for the blind bend (poor inefficient driving....), or, if they`re even bigger cretins, they go round it far too fast.

Anyway, I then heard the unmistakable dull thud of an accident. This particular cretin had tried overtaking a car approaching the blind bend and hit a bus coming the other way. It was a flash black open top AUDI, and it was a right state, almost certainly a write off. Fortunately he hadn`t seriously injured anyone because he hit a bus. Several people, including one with a Dash Cam, all said he`d being driving like a lunatic just seconds before, so hopefully he`ll get done for dangerous driving. Interestingly, when I said to him he should be ashamed of himself driving like that, particularly with his girlfriend in the car, they both said he`d "only been doing 40mph". Absolute tosh judging by the skid marks on the road and how loudly he`d been hammering it, but it`s fascinating how people believe what they want to believe.

And this thread on SF in 2013.

Local residents regularly write to the council to warn them, I also did after the accident quoted above. I was informed there aren`t enough serious accidents on that road, but what constitutes a serious accident ? For instance, the smash involving the Audi may not have been counted as a serious accident because, by pure fluke, nobody was seriously injured.

Apparently, according to SC, "changing the speed limit signs costs too much money". Are they serious ? One assumes, now there`s been the "required road death" they`ll do something. At an absolute minimum the 30mph speed limit should be extended round the S bends and then the limit only increased to 40 to join up with the 40 limit through Wharncliffe side. If it still doesn`t slow drivers down, put speed camers in there every few weeks.

Question, does anyone, even the most ardent petrolhead, disagree with that ?

Edited by Justin Smith

One Question . Do you have any proof that the accident which killed that young lad this morning was caused by Speed ?

Ive been driving up and down that road for the last 20 years and never had a problem getting round that corner.I do go round it at about 35 - 40 mph and never had a problem.Common sense should tell drivers not to go round it at 50 mph plus.I have seen three accidents on the one way section in the last 6 months because of cars pulling out from near the **** inn.I blame the van that has been parking on the pavement blocking the view of the junction and vice versa.I had a car pull out in front of me on my way to work a few weeks ago at the junction.I was only going about 25 mph so i stopped in time without a problem.I notice somebody has put some signs up asking for drivers not to park on the pavement.Why cars have suddenly starting being parked their is a bit strange,i had never seen any vehicles parked their until recently.There seems to be a lot of cars parked on the one way section in the last couple of months.

Cannot believe i have had the name of the pub xx,d out.How can i put this without getting it crossed out.Male Chicken inn will have to do.:hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 16-04-2017 at 23:21 ----------

Until we know what caused the accident its hard to say wether the speed limit needs to be changed.Your serial speeder will just ignore the signs anyway and then try and force there way round cars doing the speed limit.I get a tailgate charlie behind me most days on that section and i always usually do the speed limit.Anyway ,condolences to the family and friends of the motorcyclist who sadly lost his life.

There is no proof that the young lad was speeding. Remember, the family/friends maybe reading the forum so please think before you post any unconfirmed reports.

The corner near Bedford Road has had a fair few accidents. At least 4 that I know of in 4 years... (including one on New Years day last year).

Also regarding the cross section near the 'male chicken' Inn. I'm glad that van has moved and signs are up. Another Biker was taken out there only a few weeks ago early morning. Lucky he was able to talk at the scene.

Poor kid condolences to his family.