Havelock Bridge

The railway line from Sheffield to Chesterfield was opened in 1870 and Havelock Bridge would have been built as part of that project.

It was presumably named by Sheffield City Council in conjunction with the Midland Railway Company in recognition of Major General Sir Henry Havelock's achievements in the army in India. He had died in the sub continent thirteen years previously.

There is a statue of him, incidentally, in Trafalgar Square.

echo.

Edited by echo beach

I wasn't aware of Sir Henry Havelock until now. But it seems he was a very famous and respected man in his time.

From wiki..

There is a statue of Havelock (by William Behnes) in Trafalgar Square, London. The plaque on the plinth reads: 'To Major General Sir Henry Havelock KCB and his brave companions in arms during the campaign in India 1857. "Soldiers! Your labours, your privations, your sufferings and your valour, will not be forgotten by a grateful country" H. Havelock'.

In 2003, there was a controversy when the mayor of London, Ken Livingstone suggested that the Trafalgar Square statue, together with that of General Charles James Napier, be replaced with "more relevant" figures

Wiki also has a long list of places around the world that are named after Havelock, but it doesn't include the bridge in Sheffield.

Namesake of Havelock, Nova Scotia

Havelock Road in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, United Kingdom

Havelock Road in Cawnpore is a popular tourism destination.

Havelock Street in West Perth, Western Australia.

Havelock Memorial Church in Cawnpore.

The Havelock neighborhood, formerly a city, in Nebraska is named after him.

"H" a play about Havelock by Charles Wood was performed at the National Theatre, London in 1969. Harold Hobson in the Sunday Times called it: "One of the National Theatre's outstanding achievements".

Havelock Road and Havelock Road Colony in Lucknow are named as a tribute to General Havelock. This is situated next to Hazratganj.

Havelock Road in Dartford, the town whose school he attended.

Havelock is the name of a house at his former school, Dartford Grammar School. The House system was introduced in 1916 with four Houses (a fifth, Gwyn House, being added in the 1990s). D’Aeth, Gwyn and Vaughan are named after the three founders of the School: William D'Aeth, Edward Gwyn and philanthropist William Vaughan. Havelock and Wilson are named after distinguished former pupils.

Havelock is a Senior Wing House at St Paul's School, Darjeeling in India, where all the Senior Wing Houses are named after colonial era military figures.

Havelock, in the South Island of New Zealand, and Havelock North, a town in Hawke's Bay, New Zealand are both named after him.

Havelock Island, in the Andaman Islands is also named in his honour

Several public Houses in England are named "The General Havelock":[9] Burnley, Lancashire; Haydon Bridge, Northumberland; High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire; Ilford, Essex; South Shields, South Tyneside (Demolished 2010). The Haydon Bridge pub sign bears his portrait.

Havelock Road in Addiscombe, Croydon, part of the site of the Addiscombe Military Seminary.

Havelock Road in Biggleswade with the first houses being built in 1902.

Havelock Road in Singapore[10]

A 'havelock' is the name for the piece of cloth that hangs from the back of a kepi to protect the neck from sunburn.

Havelock has a prominent place in all of the series of The Flashman Papers novels set in the sub-continent. He is given the nickname "Gravedigger."

The Havelock Terrace at the old Lansdowne Road stadium in Dublin was so named as it backed onto the small 19thC Havelock Square. The roof of the new Aviva Stadium, currently under construction, dips dramatically in response to the proximity of the square.

The city of Havelock, in North Carolina is named after him.

The General Havelock, a hotel on Hutt Street in Adelaide, Australia is named after the General.

Havelock Community Centre in Southsea, Hampshire UK – Named after Sir Henry Havelock

The township of Havelock-Belmont-Methuen, particularly the town of Havelock Ontario, is named after him.

The town of Havelock, Quebec is named after him.

Havelock Crescent in Morningside, Durban, South Africa is named after him.

Havelock Park a Satellite Housing Estate, Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom close to where he was born was built in 2005 and named after him.

His name hangs above two of the rooms in Main Block at Regent's Park College, Oxford and his portrait hangs outside the Library

Havelock Road in Luton is claimed to be named after him.[11] page 23. The road appears on The 1887 1st edition and 1901 2nd edition OS maps[12]

Havelock Guest House in Jersey

Edited by WarPig

It was well known to us as kids as Havelock Bridge in the 1970s. We would look over toward the lower end of the wall into Spaffords yard, this was the firm my dad worked for at the time. Also around that time a friend of mine was leaning over the bridge and fell onto the railway line head first. He was very lucky and survived, but only just.

After talking to the same group of people (aged between 47 and 64) who provoked the original question, it emerged that all except one were born and bred in Sheffield and only one of those is from the Heeley area. So I guess that through the changing demographic, popular use of the name maybe falling from use.

Havelock Bridge

Played for many a hour on the bridge (1946-1950). They used to be a butcher shop on the corner.

On the right hand corner of the bridge going towards Myrtle Rd, a family called Dowson lived there and in the late 1800s a family called Theaker lived there and the property had a very large room at the rear and it was here that Mrs Theaker gave dancing lessons, this endeavour failed so she gave art classes. Her husband had a stall in the Norfolk Market Hall where his daughters worked and if I remember rightly his son was a coachman. If you look on Picture Sheffield and put Harriet Dowson in the search box, her photo will come up when she was a buffer, Harriet is now ninety years old, in fact a picture of the property can be found there too.

Hi Guys 

I own the bottom house (9 Myrtle Road) on Havelock Bridge.

Has anyone got any pictures of the old advertising logo that was originally on the gable end ??

Its been painted over and covered up with boarding that has been used for advertising over the years and would be fantastic if it could be re instated to original. 

Im guessing it was for Hodkin & Jones builders merchants but can't quite make it out.

Thanks Dan

46 minutes ago, Dan Fountain said:

Hi Guys 

Has anyone got any pictures of the old advertising logo that was originally on the gable end ??

Its been painted over and covered up with boarding that has been used for advertising over the years and would be fantastic if it could be re instated to original. 

Im guessing it was for Hodkin & Jones builders merchants but can't quite make it out.

Thanks Dan

There's only this one which isn't on the house you own is it:

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;v03572&pos=1&action=zoom&id=44805

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s28300&pos=18&action=zoom&id=89312

Edited by DUFFEMS

Those photo's show the gable end of what were showrooms if I remember.

6 hours ago, Dan Fountain said:

Hi Guys 

Thanks Dan

H&J are still in business, now located on Callywhite Lane in Dronfield. Gone through a few owners (and administration!) over the years, but trading for well over 100 years.

May have a collection of photo's/memorabilia, perhaps?

Perfect thanks for that I’ll give them a call. 

I think the picture that you’ve been good enough to send was the old building where the big yellow storage is now. 

I think the old sign is fantastic. 

Thanks for all all your input 👍🏼

That's just as I remember it Duffems. 

Left the city in '71 and needed a cement mixer to help with renovating our house. My  Dad was a rep for Needhams Tyres in Cambridge Street and had contacts with many places including Hodkin & Jones. They fixed me up with a commercial mixer a couple of years old which was so heavy it snapped the spring on my trailer going round the corner at the far side of Havelock Bridge. Managed to get it home and it gave me many years of reliable service.

echo.