David Hartley Assistant Chief Constable

From what has been reported in The Star I fully support his aims and hope that he is able to deliver as intended.

Many have asked for a greater police presence on the streets in the belief that this is required,and it seems that he feels the same.

Good luck.

From what has been reported in The Star I fully support his aims and hope that he is able to deliver as intended.

Many have asked for a greater police presence on the streets in the belief that this is required,and it seems that he feels the same.

Good luck.

"A South Yorkshire police chief is encouraging his officers to take breaks in public while on shift to increase visibility.

Assistant chief constable David Hartley said he encourages all officers, including armed ones, to take refreshments with the public.

It comes after eight police officers in Devon were pictured relaxing in the sun with tea and bacon sandwiches for 45 minutes while on shift.

ACC Hartley tweeted: "I encourage all our officers, including armed, to take refreshments with the public, if you see one, just have a chat. #TeamSpirit."

He is now considering having full briefings in coffee shop to increase presence further.ACC Hartley tweeted: "If any coffee shop in South Yorks can host up to 20 cops between 7 and 7.30am, I will buy the coffee (at my expense) and join them."

Members of the public criticised the officers in Plymouth, in Devon, who had tea and bacon sandwiches during their 45-minutes break while on shift last week.But Devon and Cornwall Chief Superintendent David Thorne said on occasions officers take breaks in commercial establishments so they are visible to the public. Their radios remain on and they are ready for immediate deployment, he added."

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/police-chief-encourages-officers-to-take-breaks-in-public-to-increase-visibility-in-south-yorkshire-1-8495045

"A South Yorkshire police chief is encouraging his officers to take breaks in public while on shift to increase visibility.

Assistant chief constable David Hartley said he encourages all officers, including armed ones, to take refreshments with the public.

It comes after eight police officers in Devon were pictured relaxing in the sun with tea and bacon sandwiches for 45 minutes while on shift.

ACC Hartley tweeted: "I encourage all our officers, including armed, to take refreshments with the public, if you see one, just have a chat. #TeamSpirit."

He is now considering having full briefings in coffee shop to increase presence further.ACC Hartley tweeted: "If any coffee shop in South Yorks can host up to 20 cops between 7 and 7.30am, I will buy the coffee (at my expense) and join them."

Members of the public criticised the officers in Plymouth, in Devon, who had tea and bacon sandwiches during their 45-minutes break while on shift last week.But Devon and Cornwall Chief Superintendent David Thorne said on occasions officers take breaks in commercial establishments so they are visible to the public. Their radios remain on and they are ready for immediate deployment, he added."

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/police-chief-encourages-officers-to-take-breaks-in-public-to-increase-visibility-in-south-yorkshire-1-8495045

Police officers are always in the wrong, no mater what. How dare they have a break / Lunch hour!!

Us Hartley's don't mess about!

Ive witnessed folk moaning at seeing cops eating a sandwich or having a drink in public, tutting at them under their breath and saying they ought to 'get some work done'. But i'd much rather have the cop remain on the streets than be back inside their station at lunch time. What is it with people???

Well done to him I think most people will wellcome it, were 2017now not 1920s as long as they don't park badly.

Well done to him I think most people will wellcome it, were 2017now not 1920s as long as they don't park badly.

If they choose to take their meal breaks in public then thats fine, just as long as they aren't forced to do so as that wouldn't be a 'break', and might also contravene some employment regulations?

The cynic in me says this is nothing more than a PR exercise. Encouraging coppers to use their down-time in public could help generate the illusion that bobbies are "back on the beat".

Great idea. I'm sure most food outlets wouldn't even charge them.

Great idea. I'm sure most food outlets wouldn't even charge them.

They aren't allowed to receive gifts

---------- Post added 16-04-2017 at 19:56 ----------

The cynic in me says this is nothing more than a PR exercise. Encouraging coppers to use their down-time in public could help generate the illusion that bobbies are "back on the beat".

That kind of deception has been going on for years.

Do they eat donuts or is that just yankee cops?