More realistic, but easier driving test?

Feel free to to give details of all your driving test passes and what they entitle you to drive. Did you pass them all first time?

I passed my first test first time, when I was 18

I could rock up to a driving test in my Seris 1. That diesntveven have a windscreen. Or synchromesh

That would certainly make it difficult for them to attach a satnav then!

---------- Post added 16-04-2017 at 15:26 ----------

I wonder how many sudden/late lane changes, motorway exiting is attributable to just that!

Because a 2 mile, 1 mile, 1/2 mile warning isn't enough time to get into the left hand lane?

]

Because a 2 mile, 1 mile, 1/2 mile warning isn't enough time to get into the left hand lane?

Something doesn't compute that's for sure

Why have they dropped the three point turn, we all do that sometime or other, something the learners should master.

Why have they dropped the three point turn, we all do that sometime or other, something the learners should master.

The idea is to have more actual driving during the test. Too much time is wasted in going to a quiet road, where a three point turn can be carried out at the moment.

I think assessing a new driver's ability to blindy follow a SatNav is a great idea, they should however add a little twist... the SatNav should be out of date and attempt to direct them the wrong way up one way streets, through bus gates and into fully pedestrianised zones and the like.

---------- Post added 19-04-2017 at 13:44 ----------

We've had to navigate ever since the car was invented. It was never part of the test though.

Is it not? It was when I passed my test back in 1992. We were told to follow the road signs to such and such a place.

You dont have to use automation ignition advance, or automatic chokes, or indicators... people do because its easier.

Aren't indicators a requirement though?

I do think there is a purpose and a reason to test people's knowledge of functions e.g. how to turn on the rear windscreen, check oil level, operate rear windscreen wiper etc.

However, I agree with the other poster that knowing how to use a SatNav is not a necessary requirement for operating a motor vehicle.

I'd sooner drivers were tested about their aptitude to read and plan a journey on a map, before testing their aptitude to operate the idiot-safe electronic version.

After all, and thankfully, kids are still being taught calculus before being allowed the use of calculators.

I'm not current on what is and isn't tested by the UK driving test. But I believe it still doesn't include testing what I'd qualify as more essential aptitudes, such as driving a section of motorway, overtaking a car in traffic (A or B road), how to check tyre pressure and oil level, and how to change a wheel.

All compulsory (besides other niceties like hill starts, parallel parking, corner reversing, emergency braking <...>) in e.g. France for decades (at least since 1988 when I passed mine), and Germany as well AFAIR.

Edited by L00b

The idea is to have more actual driving during the test. Too much time is wasted in going to a quiet road, where a three point turn can be carried out at the moment.

Perhaps some sort of turn around should be taught/tested, otherwise people will be doing dangerous u-turns.

Is it not? It was when I passed my test back in 1992. We were told to follow the road signs to such and such a place.

I don't think I was, although perhaps I've just forgotten.

That's still a perfectly reasonable way to get around though, and works without a satnav stuck to your window.

I don't think I was, although perhaps I've just forgotten.

That's still a perfectly reasonable way to get around though, and works without a satnav stuck to your window.

Me either. Was told to turn left or right, carry straight on etc.

Some people seem to struggle with left and right and write L and R on their hands. Never had that trouble myself. My instructor said if asked to turn right and you turn left but signal left you won't fail anyway.

I think it's crazy that we don't teach rural driving, motorways, driving at night or driving in bad weather as part of the training programme.

The Pass Plus syllabus should be incorporated into initial driver training.