More realistic, but easier driving test?

I don't remember the AA saying that you can't push a button on the radio... Does it need testing then?

I don't think we test on operating the opening/closing of windows either, and some cars have roofs that retract, so people should prove that they can do that safely as well!

Not quite the same though is it.

Navigating, whilst reading the road can hardly be compared to opening the window.

Given that >50% of people have SatNavs, and probably a greater number in the age bracket of people mostly taking their test, it would seem entirely sensible to re-create a normal driving situation.

We've had to navigate ever since the car was invented. It was never part of the test though.

I don't remember the AA saying that you can't push a button on the radio... Does it need testing then?

I don't think we test on operating the opening/closing of windows either, and some cars have roofs that retract, so people should prove that they can do that safely as well!

Why not? LIke I've said on this thread it was raining on my test, I had to be able to demonstrate I could use the wipers and heating controls to clear the windscreen. If it's there and it's safe to do so, then I see no problem in being asked to demonstrate you can use it. You should certainly be able to answer if it's safe to use it even if you don't know how to use it.

Why do you see such a problem with being able to demonstrate you can take instruction from a sat nav when driving?

We've had to navigate ever since the car was invented. It was never part of the test though.

So what? Why shouldn't it be?

If you take that attitude to everything, we'd never make any progress!

From the article in the OP:

'About half of all car drivers now have a sat nav and using them teaches drivers to better manage distractions' - which is my point. Sat navs, along with ABS and power steering and other driving aids, are a fact of life in modern cars and IMO people should be able to demonstrate they can drive using one before they pass their test and stick one on their dashboard the first day they drive on their own. I didn't see anything in the article that says they have to understand how it works, just follow the instruction, in the same way no one has to understand how power steering or ABS works in order to get the benefit when driving.

I'm all for realism in tests and they should be reviewing the test criteria more often to reflect trends in driving and technology.

Maybe they should be borrowing some screaming kids to put in the back seat too.. :hihi:

On the breakfast news, a spokesman said the driver will not be asked to set the Sat Nav, just follow the directions. Therefore, for part of the test, the Sat Nav will give the driver instructions, instead of the examiner. I don't understand why anyone can have a problem with this change to the driving test, because it is adding realism to the test.

I remember, when I took my test the examiner sent a telegraph when he was about to ask me to do an emergency stop, by the way he looked around to make sure there were no vehicles any where near me , before he hit the windscreen with his clip board.

Guest sibon

It is at the moment. You have to do a section of independent driving. For example, "follow the signs to Worksop please"

So what? Why shouldn't it be?

If you take that attitude to everything, we'd never make any progress!

It shouldn't be part of the test because it's not an integral part of driving a car.

---------- Post added 15-04-2017 at 21:18 ----------

Why not? LIke I've said on this thread it was raining on my test, I had to be able to demonstrate I could use the wipers and heating controls to clear the windscreen. If it's there and it's safe to do so, then I see no problem in being asked to demonstrate you can use it. You should certainly be able to answer if it's safe to use it even if you don't know how to use it.

Why do you see such a problem with being able to demonstrate you can take instruction from a sat nav when driving?

Wipers and demisters are standard features on all cars, sat navs are not. If there was a car phone (I guess it would be the 80's) would you expect a demonstration of being able to use it?

It shouldn't be part of the test because it's not an integral part of driving a car.

You're not being tested in just driving a car though are you.

You are being taught how to safely interact with a road network and deliver yourself safely to your destination. Being able to navigate safely is pretty intrisict to that.

Interacting with the road network to safely reach a destination is just long hang for driving a car somewhere.

I don't understand why anyone can have a problem with this change to the driving test, because it is adding realism to the test.

Because some people don't like change?

---------- Post added 15-04-2017 at 21:25 ----------

Interacting with the road network to safely reach a destination is just long hang for driving a car somewhere.

Not really, driving a car is, you know, driving it physically. You were implying because a SatNav wasn't neccesary to drive a car then it has no place in the test. The Gov have decided to include navigational elements. All this does is reflect how the majority navigate when they don't know the route.

Wipers and demisters are standard features on all cars, sat navs are not. If there was a car phone (I guess it would be the 80's) would you expect a demonstration of being able to use it?

Come another 10 years and they might well be. Both mine have built in sat navs, and one of those is 10 years old. It's not safe to use a phone while driving so why would you expect to demonstrate you could use it?