More realistic, but easier driving test?

Learner drivers will have to be able to follow directions from a sat nav and drive into a parking space to pass their test.

I was listening to someone being interviewed about the new test, and they were getting a grilling about how other countries new rules around young drivers saves lives.

Driving into a parking bay sounds quite basic and easy, or does it mean reversing?

Surely following a sat nav is just the same, except easier, than following the instructions of the examiner?

I drive minibus, and I find my experience in the driving test of reversing around a corner very useful.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39594852

I think teaching them to follow the SatNav is very useful, as is parking.

In the Netherlands the SatNav is now part of the test. You also have to reverse a corner, park parallel in a tight-ish spot, do a hill start (very difficult in the Netherlands!) and some other things I forget.

What I really, really want to see introduced is that every one going up for a practical exam should have had one session with a lorry driver. They keep talking about it in the Netherlands but keep pulling out. I think it will make a massive difference.

Introduction of satnav to driving test..good or bad?

It`s absolutely ridiculous. Not everyone has, nor even wants, a SatNav, I don`t want a SatNav and neither does my wife. Fortunately we`ve passed our tests so it doesn`t affect us, but the point is still relevant. One does not have to use a SatNav to drive so to force them to be part of the driving test is appalling. Technology is just going too far, where will it all end up ? Being forced to have a smart phone even if you don`t want one ? I certainly don`t want one.

Which cretin in the DofT came up with this idea ? Was it the same one who thinks`s it`s a good idea to get rid of the hard shoulders on motorways ? That`s the question. Sack him (or her).

Edited by Justin Smith

It`s absolutely ridiculous. Not everyone has, nor even wants, a SatNav, I don`t want a SatNav and neither does my wife. Fortunately we`ve passed our tests so it doesn`t affect us, but the point is still relevant. One does not have to use a SatNav to drive so to force them to be part of the driving test is appalling. Technology is just going too far, where will it all end up ? Being forced to have a smart phone even if you don`t want one ? I certainly don`t want one.

The decision is not ridiculous. The driving test regular, should be altered to reflect the modern driving environment. Sat Navs are standard features in many new cars nowadays.

The decision is not ridiculous. The driving test regular, should be altered to reflect the modern driving environment. Sat Navs are standard features in many new cars nowadays.

Yes indeed; you would think that a longer driving test would mean more factors being tested, so harder, but it does not come across like that.

Yes indeed; you would think that a longer driving test would mean more factors being tested, so harder, but it does not come across like that.

On the Breakfast program this morning a spokesman said less time will be spent on the quiet backstreets looking for a place to do a three point turn and more time will be spent driving on the busier roads. Also it said part of the test will involve driving into a car parking space and then reversing out. It sounded like more real factors were being tested to me.

So is a cigarette lighter, so should you have to smoke to pass your test?

On the Breakfast program this morning a spokesman said less time will be spent on the quiet backstreets looking for a place to do a three point turn and more time will be spent driving on the busier roads. Also it said part of the test will involve driving into a car parking space and then reversing out. It sounded like more real factors were being tested to me.

The highway code would imply that reversing in and then driving out to be the safer option, it advises people not to reverse into a main road.

I only drive in, if I need access to the boot; the ones that always drive in, are the ones that are poor at reversing ;)

Is a car park a good place to test people on their driving, because they are often private property.

Which cretin in the DofT came up with this idea ? Was it the same one who thinks`s it`s a good idea to get rid of the hard shoulders on motorways ? That`s the question. Sack him (or her).

You dont have to use automation ignition advance, or automatic chokes, or indicators... people do because its easier.

Since most cars seem to have a satnav these days its amenable to use one - and where on earth does smart phones come into that?

---------- Post added 15-04-2017 at 12:05 ----------

The highway code would imply that reversing in and then driving out to be the safer option, it advises people not to reverse into a main road.

I only drive in, if I need access to the boot; the ones that always drive in, are the ones that are poor at reversing ;)

Is a car park a good place to test people on their driving, because they are often private property.

Most test centres have a car park so I'd presume it was going to be there....

Most test centres have a car park so I'd presume it was going to be there....

Perhaps learners are not ready for driving around looking for an empty bay ;)

So is a cigarette lighter, so should you have to smoke to pass your test?

Your point is not as ridiculous as it first appears; part of the test will also to show that you can operate on-car functions without being distracted. For example, altering the air con settings, or switching on rear windscreen heaters.