Red Kite.. I think!

Driving along Bochum Parkway and turned off to go past Jordonthorpe in the fields to the left I saw a large bird which I thought was a Buzzered. I then noticed the bird had a forked tail. I'm guessing a red kite??

Anyone else seen it?

Lucky man - it was probably a kite and they are quite a rare sight up North.

I grew up in Buckinghamshire where kites are common.

There are lots of them near Harewood...

I've started to see a few about up north. Like Puggie, I grew up in Bucks, so I know what they look like pretty well.

A red kite was logged over Waverley yesterday morning on the Sheffield bird group site .

Saw one on Howden Moor a couple of years back, took me by surprise as I'd never seen any up here before

When I pop down to the Midlands you see them everywhere. From just north of Leicester all down into Northants . 2 over my mum and dads last time i was down there

Beautiful birds. The red kite centre near(ish) Aberystwyth is amazing, we rented a cottage the other side of the brow of the hill and had them over head more or less continuously, such graceful birds! Also see quite a few north of Inverness, I believe there is another breeding station near Dingwall?

I keep seeing one up at Crow Edge near Penistone.

Driving down the A1 on Sunday evening I saw one near to the Harrogate turn off. As Smithy 266 says, there are a lot of red kites around Harewood.

I often see them around Wakefield on M1 I've seen one near clumber park last year!

My best ever sighing was an osprey over carburton lake near to clumber it circled around for 5 minutes brilliant sight

Once so common around village tips they were commonly know as

****ehawks !!!!

As referenced by William Shakespeare

Edited by Nankypoo