Quality kitchenware - "Made in Sheffield"?

The Sheffield Shop http://www.sheffield-made.com/ on Ecclesall Road is worth a look...they have products from a few of the mesters, although you may be better speaking to the mesters themselves to understand the full provenance, particularly whether the steel itself is made in Sheffield or imported blanks.

This shop stocks David Mellor Japanese made cutlery but refuses to admit that they are Japanese made, ignorance is no excuse especially with the name the shop has.

This shop stocks David Mellor Japanese made cutlery but refuses to admit that they are Japanese made, ignorance is no excuse especially with the name the shop has.

I'm not disputing your claim, but surely that's against trading standards?

Why not take a look at Taylor's Eye Witness...

I only want a single knife and they're a lot cheaper, so I presumed inferior?

Lots of the "made in Sheffield" stuff is imported from places like China and then re-packaged, I know, I have worked in the industry and have seen this with my own mincers.

I'm not disputing your claim, but surely that's against trading standards?

The shop staff and the owner try to convince you that it's made on site at Hathersage but I told them I worked there and knew exactly where the cutlery came from, then the conversation changed, " could you pop into the shop and discuss it" there was nothing to discuss Sheffield Shop - Japanese Cutlery. Mellors black handled kitchen knives are made in China and they buy the pieces for around $10 each and then sell them for between £50-£60 each and all they do to these items and the Japanese items is unpack them and mark them David Mellor.

You can see the Chinese kitchen sets in the Millennium Gallery and again Sheffield Museum Trust know it's from China but will not remove the items or tell people they are from China and Japan.

Lots of the "made in Sheffield" stuff is imported from places like China and then re-packaged, I know, I have worked in the industry and have seen this with my own mincers.

It doesn't matter to me - it's about it having "Made in Sheffield" or "Sheffield Made" stamped on it. I don't think the recipient of the gift will be checking its provenance... I'll just be saying "this is a better than average piece of steel from my home city, which was (is?) famous for steel". Hopefully it will go down well.

There's a great video on Vimeo called "The Putter", of the manufacture of a pair of scissors in a Sheffield workshop.

I'd still like to get a pair of those - I can't afford the wait time. If there was somewhere I could definitely rock up to, and even pay a slight premium, I would consider it.

The Turton, I mean.

P.S. - website says "in stock" but I'm not sure that's correct. It also says availability Easter, so I may give them a call.

---------- Post added 13-04-2017 at 09:30 ----------

Had a good chat with a guy here and while - technically - in stock, the reality is that they're all spoken for and there's a lead time of 6 weeks. Too long for my needs. A real shame, but I should've been more prepared.

Edited by Hippogriff
Added P.S.

It doesn't matter to me - it's about it having "Made in Sheffield" or "Sheffield Made" stamped on it. I don't think the recipient of the gift will be checking its provenance... I'll just be saying "this is a better than average piece of steel from my home city, which was (is?) famous for steel". Hopefully it will go down well.

That's not right.

Which part, the whole thing? I don't get you...

Don't start an argument for the sake of nothing, please. Had enough of that here.