Quality kitchenware - "Made in Sheffield"?

You know, I actually did order these Turton scissors in mid-April 2017. They took payment from me, £62.34, and since then - despite me asking numerous times, nothing has happened at all. The lead time was supposed to be six weeks and we're now rocking up on September... I've written to them once again today, seeing as the last update my order had was on 19 April 2017 and it was changed to "pending", but my frustration level is quite high. :mad:

You bought some scissors in April and still haven't received them????

I think I'd be kicking off big time...

I knew there was a lead time... and I was relaxed about that. I was even OK giving them a lot of time... but now it's gone a little bit too far, even for my relaxed approach to life. I would just like that they might respond to their own on-line Contact Form... they do not.

I knew there was a lead time... and I was relaxed about that. I was even OK giving them a lot of time... but now it's gone a little bit too far, even for my relaxed approach to life. I would just like that they might respond to their own on-line Contact Form... they do not.

I'm generally pretty laid back too...But hey...They're taking the proverbial...

I was bought some lovely cutlery from a charity shop. The real stuff and not just with Made in Sheffield on it but with the manufacturers stamps. I believe it was the Sally Army charity shop but you could try others in your neighbourhood. Worth a go.

Have you thought about maybe buying a Bowie Knife? I know they're expensive but genuine. http://www.steelcitycutlery.com

I'm generally pretty laid back too...But hey...They're taking the proverbial...

I spoke to them, as they don't answer emails, and I've been told (straight away he knew I'd be chasing the scissors, before I even said my name or order #) that they'll be with me in 3 weeks... he wasn't surprised I'd ordered them in mid-April and heard nothing... sheer volume of orders and sheer lack of putter-togetherers it seems.

At least they answered the phone.

---------- Post added 30-08-2017 at 09:21 ----------

Have you thought about maybe buying a Bowie Knife? I know they're expensive but genuine. http://www.steelcitycutlery.com

I have bought a bunch of Dymondwood knives - spent hundreds on them, but I have got a good selection for gifts I've given out. I've bought from The Famous Sheffield Shop and from Sheffield Scene. Plus I ordered 5 more 6" directly from Staniforth's website... well, over the phone, and I got the best discount here.

The Famous Sheffield Shop will give you a discount if you buy more than 1.

Sheffield Scene won't give any discount, plus they are the most expensive (I had to buy 1 x 8" Cook's from here as nowhere else had any).

Staniforth's website / phone person, will give a discount and free postage too.

So - yes - I actually bought a lot of those knives... 3 x 8" Cook's, 6 x 6" Cook's, 1 x 4" Cook's and 1 x Santoku.... all given-out, none for myself.

I like them! The recipients have all expressed pleasure in receiving them. I always point out the Made in Sheffield mark.

Edited by Hippogriff

Y'know, I was aware of that shop... but I had not associated it with quality - more with tourist type 'tat' (that sounds harsher than it's meant to be).

Is my feeling on this totally incorrect?

Sheffield Scene sells good quality Sheffield made cutlery, unlike the Sheffield Shop which stocks some foreign made cutlery and kitchen knives. I worked in the trade for fifty years and I know quality when I see it, the S/S cutlery that's sold in the Millennium Gallery is all from Japan and China.

I spoke to them, as they don't answer emails, and I've been told (straight away he knew I'd be chasing the scissors, before I even said my name or order #) that they'll be with me in 3 weeks... he wasn't surprised I'd ordered them in mid-April and heard nothing... sheer volume of orders and sheer lack of putter-togetherers it seems.

At least they answered the phone.

Sounds to me like they might have a few job opportunities for the right candidate...

You may be waiting a while longer if you are on the waiting list - I have heard on the grapevine that the current owner of Ernest Wright passed away a few days ago, not very pleasant circumstances either but thats not for this forum, just letting you know.

Correct Emma. Nick sadly passed away last week. I know what happened but it's not for me to say, especially on here.

The company are still working and trading at the moment and meetings are to be had.

Very sad.