Quality kitchenware - "Made in Sheffield"?

Why not take a look at Taylor's Eye Witness...

Yes. I have a kitchen knife made by the firm: good quality and stays sharp.

Yes. I have a kitchen knife made by the firm: good quality and stays sharp.

I agree, but I am biased, as I work for them! :D

http://taylors-eye-witness.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/taylors-eye-witness-2017-catalogue.pdf

That is our current catalogue, the first 7 - 8 lines are all manufactured in our Milton Street - soon to be Parkway Close premises (all shown with a Union Jack flag)

We no longer have our own website to purchase items anymore, but our local outlets can be found at -

Sheffield Scene - Surrey Street

Famous Sheffield Shop - Eccy Road

http://www.sheffield-made.com/

The biggest seller of our goods is Bakewell Cookshop at

10 Matlock Street, Bakewell

https://bakewellcookshop.com/

If your interested in the process of making kitchen knives you can watch this

Give us a follow on Facebook -

https://www.facebook.com/Taylors-Eye-Witness-331834170320523/?fref=ts

I had family members who worked there when it was at Milton Street.

When I was about 13 I would visit and remembered it was like something out of a Dickens novel.

You can get cheaper Taylor's eye witness stuff at TK maxx but it's the cheap made in China stuff (my scissors are anyway). I've a Sheffield made Taylor's eye witness pocket knife and it's beautiful. I'm not sure where the steel comes from though - or it's hardness etc etc.

Hippogrif:

you have the right idea to try to get " Made in Sheffield." Even if it did cost a little more. If more people thought like you did, it might help a re-launch, however small, of the cutlery industry in Sheffield.

Japanese wages are not so low like the Chinese ones. That make me think a re-launch might be successful if it was towards the better quality end. I have seen enough of Chinese products to be prepared to pay a little more to get a better quality.

Hippogrif:

you have the right idea to try to get " Made in Sheffield." Even if it did cost a little more. If more people thought like you did, it might help a re-launch, however small, of the cutlery industry in Sheffield.

Japanese wages are not so low like the Chinese ones. That make me think a re-launch might be successful if it was towards the better quality end. I have seen enough of Chinese products to be prepared to pay a little more to get a better quality.

I think the cutlery industry in the U.K. might need to kick on as well. I collect pocket knives and we're light years behind most of the world in terms of design, marketing - everything. It's alright being able to buy a Sheffield made whatever IN Sheffield (and that's not so easy as this thread proves) but where can you get something in the rest of the country or the rest of the world?

True:

I have tried all over the world to get Henderson's relish, but Sheffield is the only place I have seen it on the shelves.

Sheffield does need not only a city promoter, but also a "Sheffield industry" promoter, maybe one and the same.

I have a pen knife for gardening, but it says "Swiss army, Swiss made" on it

unfortunately.

I would buy a Sheffield made one if there was a quality one around.

I know someone from Sheffield who has family in California , whos close neighbour is a famous actor and at the time mayor . When he heard they were from Sheffield he politely asked a for real Sheffield made knife . They had a bowie knife made for him by a little mester (wish I could remember which one ) and apparently it has pride of place in his home .

I know someone from Sheffield who has family in California , whos close neighbour is a famous actor and at the time mayor . When he heard they were from Sheffield he politely asked a for real Sheffield made knife . They had a bowie knife made for him by a little mester (wish I could remember which one ) and apparently it has pride of place in his home .

Reg Cooper makes fantastic Bowie Knives. Reg has now retired.

Edited by lazarus

You can get cheaper Taylor's eye witness stuff at TK maxx but it's the cheap made in China stuff (my scissors are anyway). I've a Sheffield made Taylor's eye witness pocket knife and it's beautiful. I'm not sure where the steel comes from though - or it's hardness etc etc.

Yes - TK Maxx are one of our biggest customers - they buy all the Chinese factored goods. Wilko, ASDA, Tesco and many other big named company's buy our factored goods.

John Lewis / Waitrose are one of the very few customers that still buy our manufactured goods.

The Steel comes from Vetchberry Steels in Birmingham (owned by ThyssenKrupp AG)

They are hardened by David Greensmith just off Carlisle Street :thumbsup:

Edited by owlsman

I'd still like to get a pair of those - I can't afford the wait time. If there was somewhere I could definitely rock up to, and even pay a slight premium, I would consider it.

The Turton, I mean.

P.S. - website says "in stock" but I'm not sure that's correct. It also says availability Easter, so I may give them a call.

---------- Post added 13-04-2017 at 09:30 ----------

Had a good chat with a guy here and while - technically - in stock, the reality is that they're all spoken for and there's a lead time of 6 weeks. Too long for my needs. A real shame, but I should've been more prepared.

You know, I actually did order these Turton scissors in mid-April 2017. They took payment from me, £62.34, and since then - despite me asking numerous times, nothing has happened at all. The lead time was supposed to be six weeks and we're now rocking up on September... I've written to them once again today, seeing as the last update my order had was on 19 April 2017 and it was changed to "pending", but my frustration level is quite high. :mad:

Atkinsons sell kitchen knives made in Sheffield. Taylors Eye Witness and other brands. depends what you wish to pay