Parking wars on my road help

Some please help me

Has anyone got an email address that i can contact the council abput parkibg on my road please it is getting ridiculous now and something needs to be done.

I live on a small road. Others houses on the road keep parking multiple vehicles on the road. Other people that do not live on our road keep parking here as its more secure.

There is not enough parking.

Now someone has bought an house on my road and created a drive on it.. however this drive does not have a drop down kerb. This drive has been placed where i always park my car. I do not mind parking elsewhere on the road..but there is no space due to other people.

So my question is do i have to keep drive clear if no drop down kerb? I am under the impression i do not.

Secondly can we stop people whp do not live here parking here.

Thirdly how do i contact council about maybe parking permits to prevent people from parking 4 vehicles each on the small road.

Thank you

Ignoring some of the usual suspect who prefer to attack the poster rather than answer the question. It is illegal to block a car from entering the highway, whether they have a dropped kerb on not, so if the guy has parked his car on his drive and you block him in you have broken the law and he can call the police out who may tow you and then charge you for it. However, if his car is not in his drive, or you leave enough room for him to get out past you, you can park where you want.

In theory he is breaking the law by driving over a pavement without a dropped kerb. The council don't like people doing this at all so if you contacted them they are likely to enforce the addition of a dropped kerb. He may also be in breach of planning laws as you aren't allowed to just add a driveway, there is drainage and other things to be considered. However, if your parking problem is bad and he now has space for a car off road then he might be helping the parking situation!

So, if his car isn't the drive you can block it. If the car is in the drive you cannot.

---------- Post added 11-04-2017 at 09:38 ----------

If there is a drive on the homeowners property but no drop down kerb you are entitled to park on the road essentially blocking egress and access to the drive.

Just depends how big your balls are as to weather you do park across it though!

This isn't correct. It is illegal to block someone's access to the public highway whether they have a dropped kerb or not.

Ignoring some of the usual suspect who prefer to attack the poster rather than answer the question. It is illegal to block a car from entering the highway, whether they have a dropped kerb on not, so if the guy has parked his car on his drive and you block him in you have broken the law and he can call the police out who may tow you and then charge you for it. However, if his car is not in his drive, or you leave enough room for him to get out past you, you can park where you want.

In theory he is breaking the law by driving over a pavement without a dropped kerb. The council don't like people doing this at all so if you contacted them they are likely to enforce the addition of a dropped kerb. He may also be in breach of planning laws as you aren't allowed to just add a driveway, there is drainage and other things to be considered. However, if your parking problem is bad and he now has space for a car off road then he might be helping the parking situation!

So, if his car isn't the drive you can block it. If the car is in the drive you cannot.

This isn't correct. It is illegal to block someone's access to the public highway whether they have a dropped kerb or not.

I would beg to differ and have dealt with such a situation.

I would beg to differ and have dealt with such a situation.

Do you have a link by any chance? I'm fairly sure I'm right but my Googling skills are failing me to find a definitive answer so if you have one I'd like to read it.

Best I can find is a thread on Pepipoo saying it in indeed illegal to block someones access to the highway even if there isn't a dropped kerb, but that's hardly better than quoting a thread on here! : http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=83480

Edited by sgtkate

I would be on the side of it being only illegal when the kerb(spelling?) is dropped.

I would be on the side of it being only illegal when the kerb(spelling?) is dropped.

Curb, kerb, I'm never sure either! I really struggled to find anything absolute so it's going to down to interpretation by the local PCSOs or police if they got involved I think. However, parking on public roads is not a right for ANYONE at any time unless you are in a marked bay. The police can declare you vehicle an obstruction whenever they want and tow it away making you pay for recovery of it, so it'll come down to the 'politeness' test, you mouth off at the coppers and suddenly your car will be an obstruction and off to the local car pound.

So, if his car isn't [on] the drive you can block it. If the car is in the drive you cannot .

What if the house has a garage in which a car may lurk undetected ?

What if the house has a garage in which a car may lurk undetected ?

It's only an obstruction if you are obstructing, so if you parked across a garage you'd only be causing an obstruction if the owner of the vehicle wanted to get his car out of the garage, at which point you'd either need to move your car or risk getting towed by the police. None of this is rocket science guys...the only confusion is around whether there is a dropped kerb or not, and I'm saying that it doesn't matter, that if you cause an obstruction to someone wanting to get to the highway then whether there's a dropped kerb has no bearing on that, but hopefully the guy driving illegal over the pavement will also get a nice bill from the council to fix the damage to the pavement.

It's only an obstruction if you are obstructing, so if you parked across a garage you'd only be causing an obstruction if the owner of the vehicle wanted to get his car out of the garage, at which point you'd either need to move your car or risk getting towed by the police. None of this is rocket science guys...the only confusion is around whether there is a dropped kerb or not, and I'm saying that it doesn't matter, that if you cause an obstruction to someone wanting to get to the highway then whether there's a dropped kerb has no bearing on that, but hopefully the guy driving illegal over the pavement will also get a nice bill from the council to fix the damage to the pavement.

Sorry, possibly a breakdown in communication. I just wanted to clarify the fact that if one parks across an empty driveway but with a garage behind it, one may still be liable to prosecution for obstruction. Theoretically anyway, how much the police would actually do is debatable. The police can issue parking tickets though can`t they ?

Of relevance to this thread is this one (particularly if you`ve got a flight to catch....) :

What would you do ? : unknown car across your drive at 7.00AM

Sorry, possibly a breakdown in communication. I just wanted to clarify the fact that if one parks across an empty driveway but with a garage behind it, one may still be liable to prosecution for obstruction. Theoretically anyway, how much the police would actually do is debatable. The police can issue parking tickets though can`t they ?

Of relevance to this thread is this one (particularly if you`ve got a flight to catch....) :

What would you do ? : unknown car across your drive at 7.00AM

If I had a flight to get to then I'm afraid I'd be waking my neighbours up asking them to move the car, and if none of them knew anything about it then car would get rammed out of the way if I wasn't able to move it using the trolley jack method. They'd have to prove I damaged it with intent. Or hopefully phoning the police saying they had 30 mins to get it moved before I hit it out of the way might speed the coppers up.

Is that right? I was under the impression they had to have a right of access in the first place.

---------- Post added 11-04-2017 at 18:21 ----------

The police are actually pretty helpful in my experience regarding the drive blocked issue.

They've tracked down and phoned owners several times when I've been blocked out.

And ticketed and offered to tow a car when I was blocked in and they couldn't contact the owner. (I said leave it until the morning as I didn't need the car immediately, by which point it was gone, with it's ticket).

Is that right? I was under the impression they had to have a right of access in the first place.

---------- Post added 11-04-2017 at 18:21 ----------

The police are actually pretty helpful in my experience regarding the drive blocked issue.

They've tracked down and phoned owners several times when I've been blocked out.

And ticketed and offered to tow a car when I was blocked in and they couldn't contact the owner. (I said leave it until the morning as I didn't need the car immediately, by which point it was gone, with it's ticket).

I caught one those fly on the wall cop shows ages ago (Night police cop interceptors or summat) and a young lady had her drive blocked in by a parked car (sort of). They didnt tow it, issue a ticket or try and shift it. They did - and heres where my memory is a little hazy - either guided her out or drove it out for her and that was after a bit of tooing and froing. They werent interested in doing much to the car blocking her in intitally which was taxed and insured.

When I lived in Walkley I called 2202020 about once every 3 months to report a car blocking my drive. They were helpful every time, and as I said ticketed a car once as they couldn't locate the owner.

They also got a skip shifted that a helpful neighbour had told them to leave there. The skip company initially told me that as it was Friday evening they couldn't move it until Monday. After the police spoke to them they miraculously managed to shift it at 1900 that evening.

The parking was one of the contributing factors to moving, and I was one of the few who had a drive. Too many ignorant people willing to block it though, whether the car was in or out.