Parking wars on my road help

Even if there is a drop down kerb they do not have rights of access, only egress

if the drive is empty. you can park across it

if the drive is full you cant block anyone in.

thats how the law is. might upset your neighbours though

What about if there`s a garage (so you can`t actually see if there`s a car there).......

I think most of us would say that parking across someone`s drive, whether there`s a car there or not, is bleedin` ignorant.

---------- Post added 08-04-2017 at 12:44 ----------

Well, that's not always the case that people know the situation when they move in. Things can change like new employers, shops, new blocks of flats etc... we lived next doo to a family where as the kids reached 17 they all passed their driving tests. The family had 3 kids and they all had a car each. Mum and dad had a car each. Dad had a van for his business and sometimes the son bought has work van home too. This was a street with only on street parking and one house went from 3 vehicles to 7 vehicles at times.

I have to say I think that`s a wee bit ignorant.

---------- Post added 08-04-2017 at 12:51 ----------

Some of my other neighbours are fed up of it as well

You may be surprised at how many of your neighbours don`t want a permit scheme. The council proposed a permit scheme for the road I used to live on, mainly because of its proximity to the Hillsborough football ground. Yet, apparently, there was a majority against it. I have to say I was, on balance, in favour of it, but also a bit cynical as to how much good it`d do. As an example cars were frequently parked on the double yellows at the entrance to the street (such that it was impossible to turn into the street without driving ion the wrong side of the road), yet as far as I know, no car ever got a ticket for it. Or if they did it was so uncommon that it didn`t stop the practice.

Do I need a dropped kerb?

If you intend to drive a vehicle over the footway into your driveway off a highway, then you will need a dropped kerb. If you do not have dropped kerb, you must not drive over the footway. If you do so, you are breaking the law and enforcement action could be taken to prevent such practice. Furthermore:

• You may become liable from a collision with a pedestrian
  • You may become liable for damage to the footway
  • You may face considerable costs as a result of damage to any utility apparatus under the footwa

Some please help me

Has anyone got an email address that i can contact the council abput parkibg on my road please it is getting ridiculous now and something needs to be done.

I live on a small road. Others houses on the road keep parking multiple vehicles on the road. Other people that do not live on our road keep parking here as its more secure.

There is not enough parking.

Now someone has bought an house on my road and created a drive on it.. however this drive does not have a drop down kerb. This drive has been placed where i always park my car. I do not mind parking elsewhere on the road..but there is no space due to other people.

So my question is do i have to keep drive clear if no drop down kerb? I am under the impression i do not.

Secondly can we stop people whp do not live here parking here.

Thirdly how do i contact council about maybe parking permits to prevent people from parking 4 vehicles each on the small road.

Thank you

a) no you don't have to keep it clear, and they are probably breaking the law by using the "drive".

b) not unless you can get a residents parking zone, and you're happy to pay for your own permit.

c) see b.

There was an instance on my road a few years ago where a guy wanted to park off road and created his own concrete ramp over the curb well as soon as a road sweeper came along he was fined for blocking the road drainage and told to remove it, if he persisted to drive over the curb and park he would be fine again as that is illegal, if he wanted to park off road he would have to apply for a dropped curb to be put in by the council only, cost then £800, as long as your car is taxed and tested you can park any were on the Queens high way that the law allows the pavement and road at the bottom of your property does not belong to you, parking or half parking on a pavement is illegal but would cost too much to enforce, to not park and block some one’s drive is only done by curtesy.

It's an offence to block a car into a drive.

Presumably only if the drive is legal though, as otherwise it's not a drive, it's a garden with a car in it.

Some people are saying different things.

That is thet joy of the internet, who do you trust?

Some people are saying different things.

So ask them for proof or look it up yourself.

Don't go down the route of asking for parking permits - you are still not guaranteed a parking space, the number of spaces on your road will go down compared to what you have now and you get to pay for the privilege.

Don't go down the route of asking for parking permits - you are still not guaranteed a parking space, the number of spaces on your road will go down compared to what you have now and you get to pay for the privilege.

That`s one side of it.

On the margin, depending on the price of extra permits (they`re usually, and rightly, far more expensive than the first one), it may put some people off having multiple cars. Plus it may well increase the available number of parking places if it stops non permit holders from parking on your road.

Obviously both depend on strict enforcement.