The best hot roast pork sandwich in Sheffield?

On 06/05/2017 at 07:45, DerbyTup said:

Well, I do occasionally buy them from Rose's the Bakers - mainly the one at Banner Cross - but I've had them from Millhouses and it's exactly the same.

After Banner Crust I would say Roses are the next best that I've tried. Roses bread is the best I've had in Sheffield. There's nothing wrong with the breadcakes they use at Banner Crust - but Rose's breadcakes are better imo because I prefer granary bread to white bread. However, the pork is far better at Banner Crust. It's pork loin, lovely and tender and thick slices of it. At Rose's it can be bitty and fatty pork. Compare the two sometime and you'll see what I mean.

---------- Post added 06-05-2017 at 07:48 ----------

Sorry, I don't buy anything on the hope that this might be a day, or time, when they've got it right. I go buy my pork sandwich from a place that always has it right and is far more right from what Bere's has to 

I'll have to Banner Crust a whirl afterr reading that.

Roneys used to be good years ago, pants now though.

On 26/01/2020 at 03:19, crookesjoe said:

I'll have to Banner Crust a whirl afterr reading that.

Roneys used to be good years ago, pants now though.

You should, just had a hot roast pork sandwich with all the trimmings from there. As great as ever, and they sell really good pies and other pastries.

Edited by Bargepole23

On 08/02/2020 at 13:25, Bargepole23 said:

You should, just had a hot roast pork sandwich with all the trimmings from there. As great as ever, and they sell really good pies and other pastries.

That's right Bargepole. Spot on!

I make my own meat and potato pies to a recipe that my mother used.  Actually, that's a bit of a lie, because my mother never used recipe's, she just made things how her mother would have made them.  I once asked her to write down the recipe for her meat and potato pie - and she couldn't!  She said she'd never really thought about what went into it - she just did it!  So it was a case of me watching and remembering!  All I know is, it used to consist of stewing meat and ox tail, cooked slowly until all the meat was really tender - then letting it cool so all the fat forms a crust - and skimming that fat off - but using some of it, instead of lard, to make a home-made shortcrust pastry.  Served with peas that had been steeped in the Yorkshire range oven overnight.  We have lost sight of many of our traditional cooking methods and if anyone reading this has ever had meat and potato pie made that way, they'll know that there is absolutely no substitute for it.

Anyhow, why was I saying this?  Because, as you may have gathered, I am a bit "fussy" about good food and especially real, traditional, "hearty" food, like pies, casseroles, roasts, etc.  No one does that better than the British imo.  But back to pies for a moment.  The ones they sell at Banner Crust are (almost) as good as I can make myself.  They are certainly the best "bought" pies I know.  (I also think "Meadowfresh" make good pies as well - they have a shop in Chesterfield, but you'll see their pies on sale elsewhere as well).    Banner Crust also sell a "party pie" - serves 10.  They will make these to order for you, so if you're having a few friends round and you want to serve up something really simple and easy, you could do far worse than get one of these big pies and just serve it up with some mushy peas and gravy.

Edited by DerbyTup