Jump to content

The best hot roast pork sandwich in Sheffield?

Recommended Posts

I had a hot roast pork sandwich from Funk's in Hillsborough, on my most recent visit to Sheff this week. I give it top marks. Lots of lovely juicy roast pork, packed into a proper breadcake, which had been lightly dipped in the pork juices. It came with generous blobs of very tasty stuffing and apple sauce - and there was a big chunk of crunchy, fatty crackling too.

 

Crawshaw's, near Morrison's, do a very good hot pork sarnie too - but Funk's just about edges it for me so far.  Funks are a bit smaller and cheaper - which suits me - and they use nicer breadcakes than Crawshaws. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

I had a hot roast pork sandwich from Funk's in Hillsborough, on my most recent visit to Sheff this week. I give it top marks. Lots of lovely juicy roast pork, packed into a proper breadcake, which had been lightly dipped in the pork juices. It came with generous blobs of very tasty stuffing and apple sauce - and there was a big chunk of crunchy, fatty crackling too.

 

Crawshaw's, near Morrison's, do a very good hot pork sarnie too - but Funk's just about edges it for me so far.  Funks are a bit smaller and cheaper - which suits me - and they use nicer breadcakes than Crawshaws. 

 

I agree with you on Funks and you get proper crackle but I find Crawshaw far too dry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another vote for Funks here. Having previously been brainwashed into the Beres hype, Funks are head and shoulders above them. Loads of thick cut pork, a tasty bread cake and the crackling is the best. I find that the service is always very good too, feels like a proper family run business (I may be wrong!). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has the one in Chapel walk been mentioned? It is good - they do large and small sizes 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't realize that there was a pork sarnie shop in Chapel Walk. What's the name of this shop please, GinTreeS7?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

I didn't realize that there was a pork sarnie shop in Chapel Walk. What's the name of this shop please, GinTreeS7?

Staniforths is the only one I can think off hand that does Pork Sarnies on there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes that is it - pork sandwich is just one of their options.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

During my most recent visit to Sheffield a couple of weeks ago, I finally got around to trying a pork sandwich from Helen's in Hillsborough. It was a lovely, tasty sarnie - nice breadcake, plenty of filling, tasty trimmings, reasonably priced. I would definitely have this sandwich again. However, as someone previously pointed out, this is a pulled pork sandwich - perfectly nice... but  not the "traditional" Sheffield roast pork sarnie, with the meat sliced from a joint of pork, sitting on a slab behind the counter.  

 

My repertoire of  Sheffield's  roast pork sarnies is admittedly fairly limited....but so far, my absolute favourites are from Funk's in Hillsborough - and from Sallie's in the new Moor Market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here I am again....prattling on, never-endingly about pork sarnies! I recently spent a fairly long visit in Sheffield - spending time with my family in the area I grew up in. Whilst I was up there,  I had the chance to try - and to recommend ….yet another offering from the Hillsborough area. I'm sorry to say that I can't remember the name of this place - but it's a small-ish  bakery type shop, just past B&M Bargains. , on the same side of the road, next door to Kevin Stenton's butcher's shop (formerly  Talbot's).

 

The hot roast pork sarnie from this shop is worth a try.  It's huge! One sandwich at £2.40 did 2 of us easily for our dinner that day! The breadcake is the size of a dustbin lid, the  roast pork was nicely cooked and piled high, the crackling, stuffing and apple sauce was also nice - and you even get a couple of roast potatoes thrown in with it too!

 

Funk's still has my vote for my favourite pork sandwich in the Hillsborough area. It's small, but it's just so much more delicious than any of the others I've tried.

 

The above shop - more or less directly across the road from Funk's - is a good alternative though - particularly if you want a nice pork sarnie - about 3 times the size of Funk's....but at much the same price...I will happily recommend this place.

Edited by FIRETHORN1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

Here I am again....prattling on, never-endingly about pork sarnies! I recently spent a fairly long visit in Sheffield - spending time with my family in the area I grew up in. Whilst I was up there,  I had the chance to try - and to recommend ….yet another offering from the Hillsborough area. I'm sorry to say that I can't remember the name of this place - but it's a small-ish  bakery type shop, just past B&M Bargains. , on the same side of the road, next door to Kevin Stenton's butcher's shop (formerly  Talbot's).

 

The hot roast pork sarnie from this shop is worth a try.  It's huge! One sandwich at £2.40 did 2 of us easily for our dinner that day! The breadcake is the size of a dustbin lid, the  roast pork was nicely cooked and piled high, the crackling, stuffing and apple sauce was also nice - and you even get a couple of roast potatoes thrown in with it too!

 

Funk's still has my vote for my favourite pork sandwich in the Hillsborough area. It's small, but it's just so much more delicious than any of the others I've tried.

 

The above shop - more or less directly across the road from Funk's - is a good alternative though - particularly if you want a nice pork sarnie - about 3 times the size of Funk's....but at much the same price...I will happily recommend this place.

I will try this one the next time I'm passing. I use to get my bread here until the shop closed down a few months ago, it's  now opened up again under another name but I didn't  realise that they sold hot pork sandwiches.

Although I still like Funks sandwiches I will give this one a try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/12/2019 at 21:24, FIRETHORN1 said:

Here I am again....prattling on, never-endingly about pork sarnies! I recently spent a fairly long visit in Sheffield - spending time with my family in the area I grew up in. Whilst I was up there,  I had the chance to try - and to recommend ….yet another offering from the Hillsborough area. I'm sorry to say that I can't remember the name of this place - but it's a small-ish  bakery type shop, just past B&M Bargains. , on the same side of the road, next door to Kevin Stenton's butcher's shop (formerly  Talbot's).

 

The hot roast pork sarnie from this shop is worth a try.  It's huge! One sandwich at £2.40 did 2 of us easily for our dinner that day! The breadcake is the size of a dustbin lid, the  roast pork was nicely cooked and piled high, the crackling, stuffing and apple sauce was also nice - and you even get a couple of roast potatoes thrown in with it too!

 

Funk's still has my vote for my favourite pork sandwich in the Hillsborough area. It's small, but it's just so much more delicious than any of the others I've tried.

 

The above shop - more or less directly across the road from Funk's - is a good alternative though - particularly if you want a nice pork sarnie - about 3 times the size of Funk's....but at much the same price...I will happily recommend this place.

Thank you Firethorn , I called in today and yes it was a very big bread cake with roast potatoes and did two of us. Although it says £ 2-20 on the menu she did charge £ 2- 40, whether the extra 20p was for the polystyrene  container which I got it in or for the 3 roast potatoes I don't  know  but whatever it was value for money.

I think Beres know will have to pull their socks up but Funks are still good but I would have paid £5-60 for 2 smaller sandwiches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad you enjoyed it Jaffa1.  I was up in Sheff yet again last week, with my ailing old mum and I managed to have 2 hot roast pork sandwiches during my week-long visit. Nothing new - one from Funks, one from Sallie's in the Moor Market.  Both as good as ever! I long since gave up on Beres pork sarnies - they're rubbish - but to be fair to Beres,  their pork pies are the best I've yet had in Sheffield - and their pork sausages are really nice too.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.