The best hot roast pork sandwich in Sheffield?

Agree about Beres...like Big Macs, they appear to have reduced in size over the years. Sandwich Division is great, if you live or work in town; it's carved in front of you and they really pack it in! Re: pork pies, I do like Beres, but I think Wateralls are better.:)

Never mind about the best one. Which one is cheapest?

This is the true Sheffield Forum question. Also has to be simultaneously the best pork sandwich.

I make the best pork sandwich in Sheffield I buy a roast hock from Topping pie company or Crawshaws Soft floury breadcakes, make some soft stuffing (not baked) remove the rind from the hock and cook it more in the halogen till it blisters. Spread Beres dripping on the breadcakes add the stuffing cracling (now hard and crispy) plenty of pink salty hock meat and serve with a nice cold beer. Lovely

Agree about Beres...like Big Macs, they appear to have reduced in size over the years. Sandwich Division is great, if you live or work in town; it's carved in front of you and they really pack it in! Re: pork pies, I do like Beres, but I think Wateralls are better.:)

Hi boldforester. I really like Waterall's pork pies too...but I heard ages ago that they are actually the same pork pies as Beres' .....made in exactly the same place, with exactly the same ingredients...but just sold under a different name. Not sure if this is true or not....but both Beres' and Waterall's pork pies are delicious...and they both taste pretty much the same to me! I judge a pork pie by it's crust more than anything else - it has to be crisp and slightly greasy. A "proper" pork pie also has to have a bit of jelly in it....and you never seem to get any jelly at all in the mass-produced "supermarket" pork pies!

Hi boldforester. I really like Waterall's pork pies too...but I heard ages ago that they are actually the same pork pies as Beres' .....made in exactly the same place, with exactly the same ingredients...but just sold under a different name. Not sure if this is true or not....but both Beres' and Waterall's pork pies are delicious...and they both taste pretty much the same to me! I judge a pork pie by it's crust more than anything else - it has to be crisp and slightly greasy. A "proper" pork pie also has to have a bit of jelly in it....and you never seem to get any jelly at all in the mass-produced "supermarket" pork pies!

The best pork pies locally are Percy Turners at Jump nr Barnsley - superb.

The butchers on wortley rd high green do the best pork sarnies I have tasted and I have had some from all the ones mentioned.

Beres is the best when they get it right. Unfortunately because all their shops are so busy sometimes the butties are rushed and mass produced (cold, greasy, rushed etc.)

But an on form beres is the best in the country!!!

The one in Crookes is superb as long as you get there before about 2.30pm

Roses the bakers at Millhouses, great big sandwich soft juicy pork and proper cracking much better than the cold Beres ones machine sliced with little bits of cracking dust, they even charge 5p extra for apple sauce!!

Well, I do occasionally buy them from Rose's the Bakers - mainly the one at Banner Cross - but I've had them from Millhouses and it's exactly the same.

After Banner Crust I would say Roses are the next best that I've tried. Roses bread is the best I've had in Sheffield. There's nothing wrong with the breadcakes they use at Banner Crust - but Rose's breadcakes are better imo because I prefer granary bread to white bread. However, the pork is far better at Banner Crust. It's pork loin, lovely and tender and thick slices of it. At Rose's it can be bitty and fatty pork. Compare the two sometime and you'll see what I mean.

---------- Post added 06-05-2017 at 07:48 ----------

Beres is the best when they get it right. Unfortunately because all their shops are so busy sometimes the butties are rushed and mass produced (cold, greasy, rushed etc.)

But an on form beres is the best in the country!!!

The one in Crookes is superb as long as you get there before about 2.30pm

Sorry, I don't buy anything on the hope that this might be a day, or time, when they've got it right. I go buy my pork sandwich from a place that always has it right and is far more right from what Bere's has to offer.

Edited by DerbyTup

The best pork pies locally are Percy Turners at Jump nr Barnsley - superb.

I'll go along with that but have you noticed they're not as good lately? I know they've had a few family problems and are all reaching retirement age so I wonder if someone else is having a go at making them, they just don't seem the same lately.

I'll go along with that but have you noticed they're not as good lately? I know they've had a few family problems and are all reaching retirement age so I wonder if someone else is having a go at making them, they just don't seem the same lately.

To be honest mate I don't get out there that often unfortunately and the last ones I had were last December, I'll see what I think next time I get some.

Roses do great bread.

But for me Guido's over the road in Crosspool do a far far superior pork sandwich.

Agree that Beres is overrated

I had some work done at the house in the past months, and all contractors were going to Guido's for pork sandwich. They were also saying that after 11:30 all pork will be gone, so they were going earlier than 11:30 to get it for all the other contractors at my house.

I know that he buys a large piece of pork each day from the P.James butcher (10 yards away) and cooks it the oven at the shop.

I have tried it a couple of times, usually repositioning the pork and crackling in some proper bread at home. Excellent.

BWs

MV

Funks Butchers in Hillsborough are very good both in taste and price.

Totally agree, and they have been serving pork sandwiches as long as I can remember and I'm now sixty four.