The best hot roast pork sandwich in Sheffield?

Funks Butchers in Hillsborough are very good both in taste and price.

Another thumbs up for Funks, nice pork, dipped with stuffing, apple sauce and crackling, lovely flavour...:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Butchers on the shops at Meadowhead, best by far

Banner Crust on Banner Cross for me. At least, I think it's still called that.

This is the best place I know too. Opposite side of the road to the Banner Cross Inn, a bit higher up the hill.

The pork is hand carved from a roast joint - and you get nice thick slices of it - with crackling from the joint - home made stuffing and apple sauce if you like - and the breadcakes are good quality too. £2.80 I think it was last time I went in there.

Roses The Bakers (in Crosspool, can't speak for the other branches).

Beats Beres into a sow's ear...

D H Bowyer & Sons butchery, Lodge Moor, highly recommended!

Lilys on Penistone road deserves a mention.

Always lovely and of course they bake their own oven bottom breadcakes on the premises.

Roses The Bakers (in Crosspool, can't speak for the other branches).

Beats Beres into a sow's ear...

Roses do great bread.

But for me Guido's over the road in Crosspool do a far far superior pork sandwich.

Agree that Beres is overrated

the bakers on greenhill shops,but not sure if its pork or ham,but has crackling and stuffin and apple sauce.

Roses do great bread.

But for me Guido's over the road in Crosspool do a far far superior pork sandwich.

Agree that Beres is overrated

Does Guido's do cakes as well?

I was having a discussion with some folks about this the other day.

Hot roast pork sandwiches seem to be almost a speciality of this city and although you get them elsewhere, it's something that Sheffield can rightfully be proud of. So who does the best ones?

Well, these blokes I was chatting to work all over different parts of the city. They are tradesman basically - white van men. And you can't beat white van man when it comes to knowing something about everything - so I asked their views.

A number of places were mentioned - but the favourite seemed to be "Beres" of Hillsborough. I'd never tried theirs - so when I found myself, regrettably, in Hillsborough the other day, I thought I'd give it a go.

I'd give it a 7 out of 10 personally. Overall tasted good - but loses marks for the hot roast pork not being particularly hot - and for slicing it on an electric meat slicer so that you end up with very thin slivers of pork, more like boiled ham! I liked the dripping dip and the apple sauce and stuffing - I didn't think the crackling was very good because they'd basically ground it up into a fine dust and sprinkled it on!

Tasty - yes. But not the best by a long way I'm sure?

I agree Beres pork sandwiches are not half as good as they used to be.

It's the crackle that spoils it,as once you got proper pieces of crunchy crackle you now get ground up bits, some rubbery and some so hard it breaks your teeth. I'm now thinking of saying no crackle please the next time I buy one because I get fed up of having to spit these bits out.

Butchers at Meadowhead. Get a large one and you won't need to eat again for a week.

Does Guido's do cakes as well?

Yes - a few things. I usually do bread and cakes in Roses, then hot sandwiches in Guido's though