Abbeydale Road area - up and coming or problem area?

Hallo

We are moving to Sheffield and estate agents and research are recommending the Abbeydale Road area as up and coming and within our price range.

On a visit to Sheffield we explored the area and it looks very mixed. There are some very nice shops on Abbeydale Road, but online searches also show it can be a problem area.

So any advice or opinions gratefully received.

are recommending the Abbeydale Road area as up and coming

Normally if an estate agent says an area is 'up & coming' - that's code for 'has problems with the potential to get better in the future'.

Whether that's an accurate description of Abbeydale Road area I wouldn't know.

The closer it gets to London Road, the sketchier it gets IMO.

Lots of nice vintage shops and cafes up Abbeydale. And the Antiques Quarter.:D

It's a very long road is Abbeydale Road, running from the junction of London Road right out to beyond the junction of Archer Road. It's almost 2 miles long. And that's not including Abbeydale Road South, which goes out even further.

It's a main route in and out of Sheffield city and as such it can get very busy with traffic and that's one consideration. It is well served by buses though as you might expect. Plus there are a lot of really nice new shops, cafe's along there and yes, I would say it is "up and coming". However, the closer you are to the city centre, the scruffier it gets and the more problematic I suspect.

I wouldn't dismiss it. But I'd suggest you look at the south end of the road - out towards Archer Road junction rather than the properties near to London road end.

Hallo

We are moving to Sheffield and estate agents and research are recommending the Abbeydale Road area as up and coming and within our price range.

On a visit to Sheffield we explored the area and it looks very mixed. There are some very nice shops on Abbeydale Road, but online searches also show it can be a problem area.

So any advice or opinions gratefully received.

It's a pretty good road and area on the whole. The problems you've read about have also been addressed and some isolated incidents of anti-social behaviour in a small area have been now much reduced.

It's a very long road is Abbeydale Road, running from the junction of London Road right out to beyond the junction of Archer Road. It's almost 2 miles long. And that's not including Abbeydale Road South, which goes out even further.

It's a main route in and out of Sheffield city and as such it can get very busy with traffic and that's one consideration. It is well served by buses though as you might expect. Plus there are a lot of really nice new shops, cafe's along there and yes, I would say it is "up and coming". However, the closer you are to the city centre, the scruffier it gets and the more problematic I suspect.

I wouldn't dismiss it. But I'd suggest you look at the south end of the road - out towards Archer Road junction rather than the properties near to London road end.

The area we are looking is the Wath Road, Wake Road, Tavistock Road area. It looks quite mixed, but also nice with good shops on the main road, a small Tesco supermarket, the big Virgin Gym and a swimming pool.

The Broadfield pub was very nice too and the local school has very good reports.

So this is not the London Road end where there have been problems? Is it far enough away?

An area where there have been problems is near the Broadfield Road junction with Sheldon Rd. Mostly around Bonfire night when the locals go a bit nuts with the fireworks. The trouble has been reduced in recent years by a coordinated response from local groups a other agencies.

If it was to be a personal choice it'd be a no from me as regards to moving there unless it was the millhouse end .

The area we are looking is the Wath Road, Wake Road, Tavistock Road area. It looks quite mixed, but also nice with good shops on the main road, a small Tesco supermarket, the big Virgin Gym and a swimming pool.

The Broadfield pub was very nice too and the local school has very good reports.

So this is not the London Road end where there have been problems? Is it far enough away?

Ideally you want to be the other side of Sheldon Road or further up than Wake Road. Montgomery road or further up but I wouldn't say it's too bad.

The school is pretty poor or it used to be a few years ago I think (Are we talking about Abbeydale Primary?) so it must have had some big turnaround to have good Ofsted reports.

Edit: just googled - it is now Nether Edge Primary and has Outstanding rating.

Theres a battle between the asian community and gentrification at the moment. I think the hipsters are winning with a new vegan cafe opening every week.

Lived on Empire Road for the last 18 months or so, which is in the area you've been looking at. Not had any problems - apart from Amey doing the road resurfacing!

The area is very close to the the things you've mentioned, but also easy to get into town or out to the Peak district.