Petition For SCC to End Contract With Amey

The new Street signs are woeful...either most are bent fell over or now missing...the old ones at least were stronger and put in right .

Really? Maybe a few have been damaged by accident or by idiots, but not "most".

Most of the resurfaced roads I drive on are perfectly fine. There are one or two bits and pieces of failed surface, but in the main they are fine. To have relaid rather than resurfaced would, I imagine, be an hugely costly and time-consuming job.

There wouldn't be a high level councillor living on these roads would there? ;)

Nope......

The new Street signs are woeful...either most are bent fell over or now missing...the old ones at least were stronger and put in right .

That's a sweeping generalisation without any evidence, the sort of comment that must make Amey employees and management, council staff and councillors wonder why they bother.

My own experience travelling around Sheffield is that a lot of the older signs had disappeared or were in a terrible state. Since Amey took over there are lots more smart, clean and well positioned signs. I admit the one that disappeared from the end of our road over 10 years ago hasn't been replaced yet - maybe because nobody has told Streets Ahead there should be one there. Of course my comments are also sweeping generalisations, barring that one specific missing sign.

A roadside grate fitting has broken we think broken by the drain cleaner the other day, it was reported and a guy came in about 15 minutes as it was reported as an emergency, which it wasn't. Asked if they were going to fix it he said no they would wait until they were resurfacing the roads as they (Amey) got more money for fixing it as an add on or something like that while they were resurfacing.

I agree with you totally on this.

But the anger and frustration I feel, that we, the tax paying public, are treated this way, leaves me seething to the point where it's not good for my health.

It's happening all the time now, in so many areas of life, and there's never anything we can do about it! Rubbish companies just get fined and then simply pass the costs back to their aggrieved customers etc.

I'm ready to start chucking bricks through windows, unless somebody can come up with a solution to this continual crap!

I had to give up thinking about the waste of SCC years ago or it would ruin your health.

That's a sweeping generalisation without any evidence, the sort of comment that must make Amey employees and management, council staff and councillors wonder why they bother.

Maybe they do wonder why they bother and that explains their half arsed incompetent approach?

They aren't doing us a favour: the reason they 'bother' (sort of) is we are paying them a small fortune. The contract should be terminated because Amey are only concerned with taking tax payers money to boost their profits and strip the assets of our city.

Current state of play;

4,906 views of this thread on SF.

446 signatures to the petition - less than 10%.

Current state of play;

Make that 447 including me...

Maybe they do wonder why they bother and that explains their half arsed incompetent approach?

They aren't doing us a favour: the reason they 'bother' (sort of) is we are paying them a small fortune. The contract should be terminated because Amey are only concerned with taking tax payers money to boost their profits and strip the assets of our city.

And by quoting one paragraph out of context the point of my post, that the previous comment was unsupported by specific evidence, is reinforced.

What concerns me is their ability to maintain the streets over the last 20 years of the contract. Many of the roads resurfaced in these first five years are breaking up already. Chesterfield Road through Woodseats is one example. Two sections of Owler Bar Road opposite Fox House have been re-laid only 8 months since being done, and lots more are rapidly deteriorating across the city. Trunk roads resurfaced overnight seem to be amongst the worst.

I can see scope for a lot of legal arguments on the contract, particularly around specifications and liabilities for rectification. We may be paying a lot for what we're getting, but to get better we may have difficulty finding anyone to do it cheaper, if at all. Amey may end up making very little, if any, profit if quality specifications are enforced.

At present it's looking unlikely they can complete the full programme in 5 years, only lighting seemingly on track. Then we have all sorts of issues, performance and financial with concerns about major roadworks being necessary too soon to repair sections that are failing.

Hi I totally agree so signed petition ..

Current state of play;

Each time you view the thread it counts as a view. You can only sign once though.

at lowedges the roads are looking tired and the footpaths disintegrating and nearly as bad as before and that's after only 2 years.