Who went to night school in the fifties and sixties?

Many employers sent their young starters to night school as part of their employment contract back in the fifties and sixties ,something that doesnt seem so common these days ??

Anyone here go and how far did you take it .

Edited by flightliner

Worked for a small cutlery firm in early sixties on leaving school and went to granville college for 1 day and 1 night.Was going to go on 3 month exchange working visit to a german company but changed jobs before it happened.

Many employers sent their young starters to night school as part of their employment contract back in the fifties and sixties ,something that doesnt seem so common these days ??

Anyone here go and how far did you take it .

Left school at 15, went to Prince Edward, Manor Top, 1 night a week for math, science and technical drawing.

Then my firm had me enroll in Sheff. Poly. Pond Street, for day school, also one day a week (Journeyman Electrician)

Never finished though. Saved my money for Canada. Carried a heavy tool box over there with me, with at least 2 hammers:)

In Canada I tarted up my resume by using the school's official title at that time, "Sheffield College of Commerce and Technology".

They didn't know any different. Got me a job in a Bank, and the rest is history!

Never needed that toolbox!

Edited by trastrick

First job from school 1963 in a paper merchants office in Sheffield and had to go on a night shool course in Manchester as Sheffield didn't have one so it was a train journey from the old Victoria station on a Friday night in my own time and then back in the office on a Saturday morning ! Happy days.

1962 Apprentice plumber 1 day 2 nights at college other days on site at 18 switch to 3 nights to get City and Guild final cert. Finish apprenticeship at 21.

Thats real training and why we have a derth of good tradesmen today.

Went to Huntsman Gardens night school in 1960

1962 Apprentice plumber 1 day 2 nights at college other days on site at 18 switch to 3 nights to get City and Guild final cert. Finish apprenticeship at 21.

So, do you think the changes in later years with shorter apprenticeships , and getting rid of traditional city n guilds were reasons for this lack of tradesfolk?

In the fifties and early sixties, before they cleaned up the air, what with all the smog and early winter dark nights, leaving school at 3.00 pm sometimes felt like night school. !!!

I went to Richmond college on Bowling Green street and then moved to the new one at"Richmond". Then went to the poly.

That sounds like my early working years, ,exactly the same except for he trade. I was from 1961 to 1966 and my day release and 2 nights at Tech were at Rotherham Technical College, as I lived in Brinsworth, but worked in Sheffield (Tinsley). It was my trade certificate and City and Guilds that got me a job in Canada in 1981, plus good references of course.

In 1960 started work at English Steel Research Dept. Went To Sheffield Poly doing ONC then HNC Metallurgy 1 day& 1 evening per week.

Joined BT's predecessor in 1965 & spent 2 years at Granville then 2 years at Pond St doing ONC & HNC in electrical & electronic engineering respectively. This involved 1 day per week & 2 nights per week. I seem to remember we were given a lot of homework to do. I enjoyed the courses apart from general studies which I thought was, by & large, a waste

of time.