Political Correctness Gone Mad!!

This is the whole problem of this non-issue called Political Correctness.

Nobody is stopping anybody from saying anything.

However, when someone does say something inappropriate, such as threatening to hit a woman, then they leave themselves wide open for critical comment.

Does that make it any simpler?

No, because you ignore context.

No, because you ignore context.

The context is he threatened to slap someone. Do you think that stupid people understand context? If someone on the telly implies it's alright to threaten to hit someone then our stupid brethren will take that as a signal that it's alright for everyone else.

If you need it explaining in more simple terms then please say so.

The context is he threatened to slap someone. Do you think that stupid people understand context? If someone on the telly implies it's alright to threaten to hit someone then our stupid brethren will take that as a signal that it's alright for everyone else.

If you need it explaining in more simple terms then please say so.

The context was that it was a jokey meeting with people he already knew. You could tell from the timbre and tone of his voice, and the reaction of the woman, that it was meant in a light hearted way.

The context was that it was a jokey meeting with people he already knew. You could tell from the timbre and tone of his voice, and the reaction of the woman, that it was meant in a light hearted way.

The bigger context is just as I explained earlier.

You cannot underestimate the stupidity of people who will now see it as OK to threaten people.

It's funny though i remember i time when light hearted banter with ladies was acceptable in the work place - now its being classed as historical sex abuse and harassment.

Better safe than sorry for anyone when in the public eye.

[quote=Halibut;

In some enlightened Countries women are not allowed to drive a car , are stoned to death for having a bit of nucky and have to walk twelve steps behind the Lord and master who by the way seems to be able to do exactly what he wants without any problem .

David Moyes was having a bit of banter , the same banter that lasses in our Country get up to every single day .

If you can't put up with banter in the environment that is football journalism get out of the job, it happens to both sexes and by both sexes.

Edited by samssong

Its the type of banter that has gone on in football forever and still does, Its just that with an increase in women entering this world, its being made an issue, but most women are not the delicate flowers that some people think they are. This particular woman, to her credit, hasn't even complained.

Couldn`t agree with you more. What`s the soddin` point of going to work if you can`t take the mickey and have a laugh.......

Couldn`t agree with you more. What`s the soddin` point of going to work if you can`t take the mickey and have a laugh.......

... at disabled people, threaten to hit women, abuse people because of their ethnicity, religion or sex? The world's gone mad.

[quote=Halibut;

In some enlightened Countries women are not allowed to drive a car , are stoned to death for having a bit of nucky and have to walk twelve steps behind the Lord and master who by the way seems to be able to do exactly what he wants without any problem .

David Moyes was having a bit of banter , the same banter that lasses in our Country get up to every single day .

If you can't put up with banter in the environment that is football journalism get out of the job, it happens to both sexes and by both sexes.

But the woman in question can put up with it and laughed it off,it's the pc brigade who jumped on the wagon.

For me it does seem blown out of proportion, however, there is a huge difference between someone making jokes with their friends and someone making jokes on TV with an unknown audience. I know my friends and they know me. If I make a joke in their company about hitting one of them then they'd understand that it was entirely a joke and they might even laugh, we'd all go home and no one would think twice. If I made the same joke to a stranger in the bus queue then I'd possibly expect to be arrested for threatening behaviour. It is about context but more so it's about the audience, one which is controlled and known when with your friends and absolutely unknown when doing it in an interview. Basically he's a numpty for saying it publically like he did, but not 'sexist' or any of the other things people are accusing him of being as you can clearly see they know each other and both fully understand and are happy with the comments. But the things you say to your mates down the pub shouldn't be said at work and don't forget he was at work.

People who are in the public eye do need to be more careful with their comments when in public. It's basically a requirement of doing the job to not say idiotic or things that can easily be misinterpreted on national TV!

Is it too un-PC of me to say that if it was a bloke that had been doing the interview, Moyes wouldn't have said it ?

Is it too un-PC of me to say that if it was a bloke that had been doing the interview, he wouldn't have said it ?

Probably, but he might have said something about hitting him rather than slapping. The context was said as a joke to a hard question and referring that next time the reporter came back they'd need to be careful, slapping is a term more commonly associated with a women whereas hitting someone is probably more associated with a man. My comment above stands for whether it was a woman or man...fine down the pub with people you know who get your humour, not fine on public TV.