Pagehall litter, again

Well said - it is an area I have known for over 70 years, I used to live near the park and I have family that do still live there. The Council need to come down really hard on this. They use the phrase - City of Sanctuary but it is no longer that for those of us who were born in Sheffield as these areas go downhill.

I think its noble to be a city of sanctuary.

But you have to be city where you have more than you need. To offer sanctuary means that you have the cash and the services to be generous. Sheffield has neither.

Everyones council tax going up by 5% because we cant afford to look after the elderly. They assume that everyone has that extra 5% to pay.

And Page Hall has mostly Romanian an Slovak residents. Their countries are safe places to live.

Edited by SkylinePhoto

Going back to the 'We are a Nation of Immigrants' mantra.

BBC NEWS, Science and Environment, 2.5.2016.

Paul Rincon,Science Editor. 'DNA secrets of the Ice Age unlocked. All Europeans today are related to a single group which lived in and around what is today Belgium, 35,000 years ago.

NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC NEWS,19.7.2005.

James Owen. 'Gene study shows that, despite invasions by Romans, Saxons, Vikings, Normans and others, the British have changed little since the Ice Age and the genetic make up of today's white Britons is much the same as it was 12,000 years ago at the end of the last Ice Age.

THE TIMES, 19.3.2015.

Tom Whipple. 'Vikings brought lots of blood, but little DNA to Britain.'

NEW SCIENTIST 18.3.2015.

Andy Goghlan. 'Ancient invaders transformed Britain, but not its DNA.'

TELEGRAPH Science.

( Oxford University) 'Britons still live in Anglo-Saxon tribal Kingdoms. Local communities have largely stayed put for the past 1,400 years. Geneticist, Prof.Sir Walter Bardner of Oxford University " Britain hasn't changed much since 600 AD."

After the Normans, up to the Industrial Revolution, the only significant immigration was from French Hugenots in c1670, which totalled only around 50,000 ( Nigel Farage being a descendent ). Then,up to WW2, very few non-European, non-Christians arrived ( 10k Arabs, 10k Africans, 20k Chinese,20k South Asians, 10k West Indians )

The UK was never, historically, a country of immigrants, far from it, but since de-colonisation in the latter half of the 20th.Century, the rapid rise of mass,uncontrolled, non-European, non-Christian immigration, kicked off by the by the Labour government under Tony Blair in 1997, the UK has been receiving more immigrants PER MONTH from non-European nations than it did in over 150 years of the Late Modern Period at the height of the British Empire, more than the entire number of Hugenots who arrives over the 17th & 18th century period.

Migration Watch UK.

'In 2016, 323,000 British people emigrated from the UK,mainly to Europe, Australia, New Zealand USA Canada, in that same year 650,000 non-Europeans migrated to the UK.

So yes, the UK, and in particular England, over the past 40 years, but explosively since 1997, has now become a country of immigration, but to say we have always been a land of immigrants is to be ignorant of the historical record and the recent understanding of the genetic make-up of the people of Britain. Ignorance, or people pedalling falsehoods for political gain.

All the above is researched, not my own ; let's have the counter arguments now, providing they have the above source links.

I agree with you wholeheartedly with this. SCC targets the City Centre as it is easy and do not want to be seen as grimy and reactive to visitors. Leave the City Centre and head North East and it is another ballgame. I lived on Firth Park Road for over 20 years until recently and grew up there. The area turned from a good neighbourhood to a cesspit in a matter of 4 years. I sat on Neighbourhood Watch committees, police meetings, Resident/ Council meetings who all promised to make a difference and some did ( for a while) but most didn't. The Press came and went, no difference. The Local Advice Centre is only interested in the grants it can get to help the increasing Roma community and no one else.

I think education and the "kid glove" approach has gone on long enough. It has driven a lot of us away from an area we took pride in and also left behind a collection of decent people drowning in the quicksand of filth and degeneration.

A multi organisation task force including decent longstanding residents and business owners needs to be set up and blitz the area with a sustained zero toleranace approach to all forms of anti social behaviour, instead of spending thousands on daily clean ups.

Most cities are like this now, neo-liberal facades were the money and energy goes in the inner core, while the periphery rots, Liverpool is a clear example.

The problem with litter in Sheffield is generations old. Was there as long as I can remember. Must be one of the worst in the UK.

The only answer I can think of is the heavy hand of the law. One option:

1) start with Pagehall. Place high vision signs in the open for public saying no littering or a fine

2) get Council to support all the measures to be taken

3) post 3 police there with security guards, say 6 people in 2 shifts. from 08.00-21.00

4) week long "Anti litter" program

5) ability to fine 100 pounds per police

6) one warning only to pick up the litter they have dropped. Detain offender as a clean up person for 4-5 hours if they do not follow directions. Or alternatively they can p/u and be warned a fine due next time. If under 16 call parents to put on notice re fine they will get

7) repeat program as necessary

8) advise Star and other news outlets of the plan so they can report

Littering in the city has gone on for so many years, some stringent measures by store owners and SCC will have to be taken to reverse this very bad habit. It is difficult to get new high tech companies to re-locate and tourists to come, when the city offers no solutions to this anti social situation

Edited by glennpickard
missed word

Glenn I have to disagree with what you say - The problem with litter in Sheffield is generations old. Was there as long as I can remember. I don't think so.

I do however agree with your 7 point plan.

I remember in my younger days 50s/60s shopkeepers kept their fronts tidy, swept them regularly, did not allow rubbish to build up on their fronts. They would clear any snow away and ensure the paths were kept clear. Housewives would sweep their fronts weekly, wash down their windowsills and 'donkey stone' their grates and steps of their terraced houses. Kids would not throw down their litter and indeed had very little litter to throw down as often money did not stretch to daily spending on sweets etc. We were brought up to take any sweet wrappers home for throwing away or to find the litter bins.

And then came the 70s..........................but my children and grandchildren were still taught not to throw litter down.

Edited by gene

Went through last Xmas and what a hole it now is,was never middle class area but I do feel sorry for the people who lived there before the Roma arrived.

Gene I appreciate your position and I do agree that the shopkeepers/housekeepers were not the problem, nor the average working man, nor men at the steelworks.

The problem as I recall was sweet wrappers, bottles, Styrofoam containers, newspapers etc which were left by a younger crowd who had not been taught like you had. On top of this were people who took dogs for a walk and left feces on the pavement. SCC did little or nothing as I recall.

Maybe the problem accelerated in the '70s as people lost jobs and unemployment/frustration increased amongst the teens and young adults

I had the same "Don't litter" training as you, but many did not. I do recall littering as a serious problem in Sheffield, probably starting in the so called "Swinging sixties."

"Litter education" for the future is needed and the SCC should lead the charge, develop a clean up slogan "A clean city is everyone's business ?" Re-introduce litter bins?

The cost of such a program would be an investment for the city. It could be quickly repaid, say over a 24 month period, by more visitors/tourists, more events, improved investment attraction, less clean up costs, a healthier environment and the personal satisfaction of all Sheffielders !

One more suggestion. If anyone on the Form has contact with an MP, ask them to officially visit the SCC with a "Clean up the city" message !

Edited by glennpickard
eliminate a word

For those unfamiliar with the Roma issue in Page Hall

That article is 100% spot on . It has hit the nail on the head.

totally agree penny, you cant argue with them facts.

That article is 100% spot on . It has hit the nail on the head.

Come on, "spot on?"

Der Sturmer made similar articles in 1923.

" Oh, what's this 'Der Sturmer', must look it up." Talk about pointing 'racists' in the right direction who may never have heard of it !