Pagehall litter, again

Fine who, the Eastern Europeans, get real, its almost impossible to communicate with them and besides they've got nowt, they can't lock them up.

so they get a free ride ? while the rest of us pay for cleaning up after them

so they get a free ride ? while the rest of us pay for cleaning up after them

There are many who believe they should get a free ride, a free ride home and a lifelong ban from the UK.

Page Hall is a social scientist's wet dream.

The tradiational form-filling approach to fines etc will not solve the problem as many have already observed.

The problem at Page Hall is a classic 'commons dilemma'. An understanding of behavioural psychology will provide answers.

If SCC are brave enough to ask, and willing to consider alternative approaches, they'll find answers within UoS's very own Department of Psychology.

Old news surely - By Robert Hardman for the Daily Mail

PUBLISHED: 22:45, 9 December 2016 | UPDATED: 09:09, 10 December 2016

Nothing new there that I can see.

And as far as I can see there has been no improvement at all in Page Hall

Old news surely - By Robert Hardman for the Daily Mail

PUBLISHED: 22:45, 9 December 2016 | UPDATED: 09:09, 10 December 2016

Nothing new there that I can see.

And as far as I can see there has been no improvementi at all in Page Hall

I never noticed the date tbh. As for improvement's in page Hall it seem's to have gone backwards.

Fine who, the Eastern Europeans, get real, its almost impossible to communicate with them and besides they've got nowt, they can't lock them up.

They must be living hear for free if they got nowt :hihi:

They must be living hear for free if they got nowt :hihi:

They don't have anything left I mean, you know after the bookies and chewing gum and Kappa stuff.

They don't have anything left I mean, you know after the bookies and chewing gum and Kappa stuff.

That's not very pleasant.

Afterall we are the "city of sanctuary"

https://sheffield.cityofsanctuary.org

Which seems to have worked very very well.............. for everyone except the people who lived in Sheffield to start with.

I appreciate that there are cultural differences in this situation, but ........

If a City welcomes you because of your difficulties, then surely you are obliged to abide by the rules there.

Why is it socially acceptable that nations (not all in conflict) feel the need to export their poverty on to us?

I also don't accept the argument that we need to increase the population to deal with our labour needs. Let more people in then you require more to service the system. Its akin to rat trying to catch its tail.

We used to do that for many decades.

---------- Post added 14-04-2017 at 00:23 ----------

So why don't you go and work for free for someone? Would that be because you want a better life for your family? So I presume you've chosen to earn money and live where you do because you think that's the best thing? And that's fine, we all do that, but if you've got no money and are starving are you seriously saying to me that you'd stay put out of some strange misplaced loyalty to not be a burden on another country or would you like any other sane person try to improve your situation by moving abroad if that's what it took? Regardless of whether they are refugees or economic migrants, the immigrants to this country are already showing determination by simply getting here!

There are many many millions that would like to do just that, but its just not feasible. Open borders advocates never seem to accept that if we did open the borders, the public support for a welfare state would evaporate.

---------- Post added 14-04-2017 at 00:27 ----------

Is it me or is the DM getting even more shrill, getting even more like certain 1930's publications, what is happening in Page Hall is not right and needs dealing with, but I don't think the DM helps.

Edited by gamezone07

I think this is about right and to some extent this is reflected in Burngreave, although things are better here. It does my nut in that SCC only seem to really care about the city centre. Drop a bus ticket there and you get a £50 fine, dump 3 beds and 10 bin bags in the north of Sheffield and they don't seem to be bothered. They really ought to get out to these places and fine people. That includes Parson Cross, Foxhill (recent subject of flytipping thread) and all the other areas it goes on. We know it's not just Page Hall.

On the subject of the Roma, sometimes it is just ignorance. I took one family to task for dumping rubbish on an area that me and a mate had just cleared the day before. They didn't do it again. Someone else I know has Roma neighbours who never litter and have a go at people leaving the local shop who chuck wrappers on the floor.

I think we have to create a culture where chucking litter isn't seen as acceptable, but I think that takes a long time. It involves pulling people up when they do it (I do this a lot, not been punched yet!), it means reporting business who don't have commercial waste arrangements, it means dobbing in landlords who get tenants to chuck all the old furniture out when the tenancy ends, it means making statements and getting prosecutions, it means getting out with your neighbours and picking up litter so that other people can see it's something you care about. Just don't expect a great deal of help from SCC.

I agree with you wholeheartedly with this. SCC targets the City Centre as it is easy and do not want to be seen as grimy and reactive to visitors. Leave the City Centre and head North East and it is another ballgame. I lived on Firth Park Road for over 20 years until recently and grew up there. The area turned from a good neighbourhood to a cesspit in a matter of 4 years. I sat on Neighbourhood Watch committees, police meetings, Resident/ Council meetings who all promised to make a difference and some did ( for a while) but most didn't. The Press came and went, no difference. The Local Advice Centre is only interested in the grants it can get to help the increasing Roma community and no one else.

I think education and the "kid glove" approach has gone on long enough. It has driven a lot of us away from an area we took pride in and also left behind a collection of decent people drowning in the quicksand of filth and degeneration.

A multi organisation task force including decent longstanding residents and business owners needs to be set up and blitz the area with a sustained zero toleranace approach to all forms of anti social behaviour, instead of spending thousands on daily clean ups.

I agree with you wholeheartedly with this. SCC targets the City Centre as it is easy and do not want to be seen as grimy and reactive to visitors. Leave the City Centre and head North East and it is another ballgame. I lived on Firth Park Road for over 20 years until recently and grew up there. The area turned from a good neighbourhood to a cesspit in a matter of 4 years. I sat on Neighbourhood Watch committees, police meetings, Resident/ Council meetings who all promised to make a difference and some did ( for a while) but most didn't. The Press came and went, no difference. The Local Advice Centre is only interested in the grants it can get to help the increasing Roma community and no one else.

I think education and the "kid glove" approach has gone on long enough. It has driven a lot of us away from an area we took pride in and also left behind a collection of decent people drowning in the quicksand of filth and degeneration.

A multi organisation task force including decent longstanding residents and business owners needs to be set up and blitz the area with a sustained zero toleranace approach to all forms of anti social behaviour, instead of spending thousands on daily clean ups.

Well said - it is an area I have known for over 70 years, I used to live near the park and I have family that do still live there. The Council need to come down really hard on this. They use the phrase - City of Sanctuary but it is no longer that for those of us who were born in Sheffield as these areas go downhill.