Is Sheffield so great?

I love how Sheffielders always put the Peak District thing first, like there's some big massive wall around the parts which border all the other towns and cities and only Sheffield has exclusive direct access!

I can walk to the Peak District from my house in about 30 minutes. Not many cities can claim that..

No its your !

"My way"

Personally i cant see the reason.

Ignorance is bliss.

I can walk to the Peak District from my house in about 30 minutes. Not many cities can claim that..

To be fair there's a big chunk of Sheffield that can't claim that either.

Sheffield is mega! I make no apologies for being incredibly proud of being from our great city.

Our major failing is also one of our greatest strengths - we don't promote ourselves like other cities do - there's a fantastic quote about that in Pies and Prejudice, Stuart Maconie's book on northern music, basically says we make at least as much great music as Leeds/Manchester etc but don't crow about it.

The proximity of national parks is great, as is our sporting heritage but by far away our greatest asset is the people.

When most of the country was rioting in 2011 I had privilege to talk to some of our young people who when asked why they weren't rioting said, "Why would we smash OUR city up?!"

When most of the country was rioting in 2011 I had privilege to talk to some of our young people who when asked why they weren't rioting said, "Why would we smash OUR city up?!"

Perhaps you could ask them why they're prepared to write all over it then.

It's easy to get the Peak District from Manchester. Derby too. In fact 20 million people can access the Peak District within 1 hour. http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/learning-about/news/mediacentrefacts

Sure, I don't think anyone's disputing that. The post I was replying to asked what were the best things about Sheffield, and I cited the fact that it's easy to get away from :)

Sure, I don't think anyone's disputing that. The post I was replying to asked what were the best things about Sheffield, and I cited the fact that it's easy to get away from :)

I know its damning with faint praise but that is a point I agree with - certainly compared with other cities.

Perhaps you could ask them why they're prepared to write all over it then.

Same reason people have graffitied buildings since the Romans, political statement, marking of territory, attempts to leave something for posterity.

Don't think it's limited to young people though, can think of plenty taggers/graffiti artists who are in their 30s/40s.

I know its damning with faint praise

Yes, it was meant to be :) I'm not a Sheffielder and wouldn't live here if I had any choice about it.

Yes, it was meant to be :) I'm not a Sheffielder and wouldn't live here if I had any choice about it.

Apart from shopping (which no one needs shops for in this day and age) what does Sheffield lack or indeed have too much of that makes it worse than other cities?

Apart from shopping (which no one needs shops for in this day and age) what does Sheffield lack or indeed have too much of that makes it worse than other cities?

Why do some on this forum have an obsession about comparing Sheffield to other cities? No two cities are the same and all have their good points and bad. I find so much more positive than negative in my adopted home city...that's why I choose to stay here and celebrate how lucky I am to live here.

Why do some on this forum have an obsession about comparing Sheffield to other cities? No two cities are the same and all have their good points and bad. I find so much more positive than negative in my adopted home city...that's why I choose to stay here and celebrate how lucky I am to live here.

I'm not comparing it to anywhere. I'd much rather leave here than, the much quoted, Leeds, Manchester etc. My question was the opposite, what do you think Sheffield lacks?