How to trace a property owner

Hi guys been running around in circles. I have seen a house which has been abandoned and has boards up. It's been like this for 25+ years. I now want to get in contact with the owner to ask if he wants to sell it. I rang land reg they don't hold any info? Rang council they can't help. How do I go forward? Can't post any letters as it's all sealed off etx

Yes they don't have any info what so ever

...which means merely that it's not yet registered land.

Somebody must be paying Council Tax, surely?

So? The payer could be a tenant; or perhaps the person or property is exempt.

Either way, CT liability does not depend on registered proprietorship.

...which means merely that it's not yet registered land.

I vaguely remember there is a large house off towards Firth Park that is un-registered and has had several people try and claim ownership.

I wonder if it's the one the OP is looking at??

I vaguely remember there is a large house off towards Firth Park that is un-registered and has had several people try and claim ownership.

Nobody needs to 'claim' ownership. The fact is that someone already has legal title by virtue of the title deeds.

Nobody needs to 'claim' ownership. The fact is that someone already has legal title by virtue of the title deeds.

but if the title deeds can't be found?? What then?

Isn't this a case where the Council should use Compulsory Purchase powers to bring the property back into use?

but if the title deeds can't be found?? What then?

If the true owner has really lost them or they're destroyed/stolen, an application to HMLR can be made- but this would need to explain what happened AND to satisfy HMLR's understandable suspicions of fraud.

---------- Post added 27-03-2017 at 21:13 ----------

Isn't this a case where the Council should use Compulsory Purchase powers to bring the property back into use?

They could make an Empty Dwellings Order, yes, if they can afford it.