Killamarsh canal

The pond behind the Travellers used to belong to the builders on the left hand corner across from the Travellers.

There are two ponds, tickets were around £100 but that was about 15 years ago.

The builders is PG group

Edited by Mr Hinks

On 07/02/2020 at 16:04, tinfoilhat said:

Nope, not westend, fished that loads of times. From what I’ve seen on google maps it’s not a big body of water, not the size of westend but looks bigger than the course lake at KJS. But it’s very hard to access - to point I haven’t yet.

Drive down green lane past he pub, past the industrial estate and just before the dip and sharp left going up hill there looks like an electrical sub station. I think you get it from there. You can’t access it from westthorpe fields, I’ve tried, so it must be from green lane and a bit of hike too. It might not have any fish and be 10 inches deep, but it’s certainly interesting.

Been promising a trip to Park Hall but not got there yet, but it looks nice from the pictures I’ve seen, hoping it might be a bit different if nothing else.

This particular pond is theoretically a "nature reserve" on Westhorpe Hills (DCC) but in reality it was put there to help drain flood water off Westorpe Hills, can't say of theres fish in it or not but access is almost like down the side of the Eiger from Westhrope (walked it with the dogs) and the walk from the nearest road to the slope is probably the same as parking at the club and walking all the way to the fishing lake at RV.

(I know its ages ago but this has only just popped on my feed)

1 hour ago, willman said:

This particular pond is theoretically a "nature reserve" on Westhorpe Hills (DCC) but in reality it was put there to help drain flood water off Westorpe Hills, can't say of theres fish in it or not but access is almost like down the side of the Eiger from Westhrope (walked it with the dogs) and the walk from the nearest road to the slope is probably the same as parking at the club and walking all the way to the fishing lake at RV.

(I know its ages ago but this has only just popped on my feed)

That makes sense. It could have been speculative anglers having a go that I saw - it's not like people won't try everything and anything (including a couple fishing from kyaks on the nature reserve lake at RV).

Well played getting there from westthorpe hills though, I tried and couldn't even get to a position to see the pond, let alone get to the bank (although I did have an over excited dog crashing through the undergrowth with me).

Only just seen this thread but thought I’d put my 2pence in.

As a kid in the late 50’s/60’s my friend’s dad worked at Yorkshire Tar Distillers.

We often caught the Booth & Fisher bus from Eckington to go and fish the small pond next to the works.

It was accessed via a path that ran from the bridge and along the disused canal.

Funny thing is , we never came across anyone else fishing. If I remember correctly, a woman sold chocolate and sweets  from her house to any anglers there.

yes thats it ,you paid a small fee say 6 pence,that old silver coin,the canal was well stocked and i enjoyed days fishing there and getting some sweets from the shop,then back for tea at my nans on sheffield road ,great days,building bonfires,in the marshes,playing footie at the old courts back of the club,funfair x 2 a year,cricket and footie in the big ash yard,good days,the summer seemed to last forever.