Killamarsh canal

kevvy thats exact,once on filled in bridge you went left as in facing the hill,along a tow path of filled in canal,then came to tar works on left with some house were you paid,and it was there and went round a bend,with farm land opp. in the 60s,my nan lived on sheffield road and you went past the club and up to get there if that helps

45 minutes ago, spider1 said:

Well i know were he means and i dont live in killamarsh . You never heard of lockhill  all i can say you dont go out much mate

Thanks for the input.

No, I can’t let this go I’m afraid. Because I don’t know the history of a private dwelling - ie a lock house for a canal that’s been filled in for decades - and it’s known by some people as lock hill despite not actually being called lock hill on a map or having any actual locks I “don’t get out much?” 

**** off. Mate.

To the OP, the tow path is still there, as is the pond and it looks like the only way to access it, but it might be behind a fence - it’s a bit hard to make out. You can’t get to from Ellisons road either, unless you have a word with the bloke on the gate veolia.

Edited by tinfoilhat

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

Thanks for the input.

No, I can’t let this go I’m afraid. Because I don’t know the history of a private dwelling - ie a lock house for a canal that’s been filled in for decades - and it’s known by some people as lock hill despite not actually being called lock hill on a map or having any actual locks I “don’t get out much?” 

**** off. Mate.

To the OP, the tow path is still there, as is the pond and it looks like the only way to access it, but it might be behind a fence - it’s a bit hard to make out. You can’t get to from Ellisons road either, unless you have a word with the bloke on the gate veolia.

Only ragging you mate i am from beighton  [ beighton bucket banger] as the killamersh lads used to call us . Was always called lockhill never new it by any other name but that was poss 30 years ago had a lot of mates in killamarsh  . Saturday nights used to be an hour in the Midlands hotel and then of to the big city Eckington good days. 

Pretty obvious to me you were not a killamarsh family

Edited by spider1

55 minutes ago, spider1 said:

Only ragging you mate i am from beighton  [ beighton bucket banger] as the killamersh lads used to call us . Was always called lockhill never new it by any other name but that was poss 30 years ago had a lot of mates in killamarsh  . Saturday nights used to be an hour in the Midlands hotel and then of to the big city Eckington good days. 

Pretty obvious to me you were not a killamarsh family

Midland hotel. No S.

22 hours ago, spider1 said:

Well i know were he means and i dont live in killamarsh . You never heard of lockhill  all i can say you dont go out much mate

I thought it strange not to have heard of Lock Hill., but hey ho !  Mr tinfoilhat you have learned something new !!   lol

Edited by kevvy

3 hours ago, kevvy said:

I thought it strange not to have heard of Lock Hill., but hey ho !  Mr tinfoilhat you have learned something new !!   lol

Every day is a school day!

Im still no wiser on this pond though. 

But on the subject of mysterious ponds in killamarsh i saw someone loading up fishing up fishing gear near the mysterious pond at westthorpe. This has changed things up a bit.

Edited by tinfoilhat

20 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Every day is a school day!

Im still no wiser on this pond though. 

But on the subject of mysterious ponds in killamarsh i saw someone loading up fishing up fishing gear near the mysterious pond at westthorpe. This has changed things up a bit.

I believe KJS have some ponds at Westthorpe, do you know of these ? It's a while since I've fished there. It's down the lane beside the West End Pub. Also I'm sure I've seen a sign for some ponds in the grounds of Park Hall near Spinkhill,not a million miles away ?

7 hours ago, kevvy said:

I believe KJS have some ponds at Westthorpe, do you know of these ? It's a while since I've fished there. It's down the lane beside the West End Pub. Also I'm sure I've seen a sign for some ponds in the grounds of Park Hall near Spinkhill,not a million miles away ?

Nope, not westend, fished that loads of times. From what I’ve seen on google maps it’s not a big body of water, not the size of westend but looks bigger than the course lake at KJS. But it’s very hard to access - to point I haven’t yet.

Drive down green lane past he pub, past the industrial estate and just before the dip and sharp left going up hill there looks like an electrical sub station. I think you get it from there. You can’t access it from westthorpe fields, I’ve tried, so it must be from green lane and a bit of hike too. It might not have any fish and be 10 inches deep, but it’s certainly interesting.

Been promising a trip to Park Hall but not got there yet, but it looks nice from the pictures I’ve seen, hoping it might be a bit different if nothing else.

20 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Nope, not westend, fished that loads of times. From what I’ve seen on google maps it’s not a big body of water, not the size of westend but looks bigger than the course lake at KJS. But it’s very hard to access - to point I haven’t yet.

Drive down green lane past he pub, past the industrial estate and just before the dip and sharp left going up hill there looks like an electrical sub station. I think you get it from there. You can’t access it from westthorpe fields, I’ve tried, so it must be from green lane and a bit of hike too. It might not have any fish and be 10 inches deep, but it’s certainly interesting.

Been promising a trip to Park Hall but not got there yet, but it looks nice from the pictures I’ve seen, hoping it might be a bit different if nothing else.

Ok, Good hunting then !

I wonder if anyone knows whether day tickets are available for the pond behind the Travellers rest at High Moor? Not sure if it's private 🤔

Cheers, Biggsy 🙂

13 hours ago, biggsy said:

I wonder if anyone knows whether day tickets are available for the pond behind the Travellers rest at High Moor? Not sure if it's private 🤔

Cheers, Biggsy 🙂

There's a sign on the gate with a phone number, I think its effectively a works club pond and season ticket only. I looked into it briefly but didn't get much further than that. Seemed busy enough.

4 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

There's a sign on the gate with a phone number, I think its effectively a works club pond and season ticket only. I looked into it briefly but didn't get much further than that. Seemed busy enough.

Ahh, Thanks, I may have to go and investigate!!

Cheers 👍