Killamarsh canal

any one tell me a answer to this as a kid I used to go up lock hill and at the bridge turn left and walk past the unfishable canal,come to some tar works?

and then you could fish the canal to the bend and beyond,not been for fifty years is it still the same or has it been opened up ,just out of intrest I would like to know as I have lots of happy memories by that canal,never caught much but it was nice.:):):):):):)

any one tell me a answer to this as a kid I used to go up lock hill and at the bridge turn left and walk past the unfishable canal,come to some tar works?

and then you could fish the canal to the bend and beyond,not been for fifty years is it still the same or has it been opened up ,just out of intrest I would like to know as I have lots of happy memories by that canal,never caught much but it was nice.:):):):):):)

I've no idea where you mean but KJS has a bit of the (landlocked now) Chesterfield canal. If you look on old maps the rest of KJS (particularly west pines pond) is shown as a disused quarry. I can't find lock hill on google maps and killamarsh has quite a few bridges.

HI, I think the Tar works are still there but have been cleaned up. The stretch you mention has I think been drained and Industrial units built, think there are still remnants of the Towpath. Further along towards the "Tunnel Tops" ? Is still in water (or was) but the people who own the big house up there I hear are "funny" about people being there. But don't quote me on that. It's the Chesterfield Canal by the way.

Edited by kevvy
text

the area I mean ,I will describe it this way,go on Sheffield road,past bridge street,along

bottom past community centre entrance,up the hill to the bridge stop,then go to your

left on a tow path,does that make it clearer.

I used to fish the bit you are talking about at the rear of Yorkshire tar distillers must be about 57 years ago. Used to be free as I recall until some one put a small dam at each end and stocked it and charged about 6p a day

Morning. I too can remember fishing on the stretch, must have been around that same time. My Dad used to take me on Sundays. We used to wait for a Booth and Fisher bus outside the Heeley Picture Palace.

that's it,so is it still there as I would love to go and have a look,its all nostalgic but that's part of life sometimes,also is that part ever going to be connected to the rest of the canal system?

There is a group, the "Chesterfield Canal Preservation Society" or something like that with plans to re instate the Canal. I think at present they're doing work around Staveley.

is there still a fishing canal there,used to go to the top of lockhill to the bridge,go left passed filled in canal towards some houses,the came to the fishing part that went round the corner

is it still there?

I’ve lived in killamarsh for 20 years, fished it for 15 on and off and ive no idea where you on about! Have you had a look on google maps? It won’t tell you everything (I’m currently trying to find out info on a pond - seemingly unreachable in westthorpe) but it’s normally a decent starting point ie is there water there!

14 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

I’ve lived in killamarsh for 20 years, fished it for 15 on and off and ive no idea where you on about! Have you had a look on google maps? It won’t tell you everything (I’m currently trying to find out info on a pond - seemingly unreachable in westthorpe) but it’s normally a decent starting point ie is there water there!

I think he is meaning Sheffield Road beyond what is / was the Nethergreen WMC. As you pass the club and climb the hill you go over an old canal bridge, there's a detached house on the left which was the Lock keepers house, hence "Lock Hill".

15 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Well i know were he means and i dont live in killamarsh . You never heard of lockhill  all i can say you dont go out much mate