Pedestrian accident Hillsborough nr Costa Coffee 21/03/2017

Yes - also - pedestrian crossings around this area stay on red man for so long that people just take chances...

I agree with Sheffandy. The biggest problem is pedestrians not waiting for the green light to cross. Imagine if drivers were as impatient!

Yes it's getting to be an accident blackspot.

It has been since I've moved into Hillsborough ten years ago. The fact the council still hasn't done anything to improve things (apart from introduce 'high tech speaking crossings' is pretty atrocious.

I think it's more to do with people sauntering into roads oblivious to moving vehicles, as been mentioned numerous times on the forum.

It's also about drivers blatantly jumping red lights and performing banned turns as I have seen many times at the lights on Forbes Rd as well as others in the area.

Yes - also - pedestrian crossings around this area stay on red man for so long that people just take chances...

You obviously aren't a motorist and haven't sat in a car at these lights :hihi:

If you're going to walk out in the road when the traffic is moving then its your own fault. Its like playing a game of chicken.

Nothing wrong with the bus gate opening at 11am for all traffic. Even I the middle of rush hour it doesn't take long to drive through and rest of the day is easy.

Even though this bold is quite often right, the city can't allow so many injuries in such a small space jensen. Considering how many pedestrians I see making poor decisions at this junction every day (from car driver perspective), then I amazed how few accidents there actually are. It IS quite clearly a dangerous place, whether that sounds ridiculous or not. Lots of people, lots of cars, lots of buses, many trams which are pretty quiet, a wide intersection where these all merge and change direction. What could be safer junction if you were designing one from scratch? :hihi:

The only answer is to barrier the whole lot off with small crossing areas. Same as everything, a ridiculous over the top measure because of a small percentage of morons!*

However, saying all this, it's an extremely complex junction, and traffic bottleneck. I'm not sure how it could be better for all.

*edit to add, I was just posting about the junction, I hope the person today is ok, whoever at fault.

Edited by *_ash_*
added

You obviously aren't a motorist and haven't sat in a car at these lights :hihi:

Even though this bold is quite often right, the city can't allow so many injuries in such a small space jensen. Considering how many pedestrians I see making poor decisions at this junction every day (from car driver perspective), then I amazed how few accidents there actually are. It IS quite clearly a dangerous place, whether that sounds ridiculous or not. Lots of people, lots of cars, lots of buses, many trams which are pretty quiet, a wide intersection where these all merge and change direction. What could be safer junction if you were designing one from scratch? :hihi:

The only answer is to barrier the whole lot off with small crossing areas. Same as everything, a ridiculous over the top measure because of a small percentage of morons.

Maybe there shouldnt be a crossing right on the junctuon, that would be a start. Barrier the whole of there off and have people cross where I think wilkos is. Make that double sized.

It doesnt help that it probably takes ten minutes to do a round at the lights with people, cars and trams in all directions.

Yes it's getting to be an accident blackspot.

It has been since I've moved into Hillsborough ten years ago. The fact the council still hasn't done anything to improve things (apart from introduce 'high tech speaking crossings' is pretty atrocious.

So it's all your fault is it !! :hihi:

( I also hope the person is ok )

Edited by francypants

Maybe there shouldnt be a crossing right on the junctuon, that would be a start. Barrier the whole of there off and have people cross where I think wilkos is. Make that double sized.

It doesnt help that it probably takes ten minutes to do a round at the lights with people, cars and trams in all directions.

I edited my post slightly when I realised someone could have been injured badly there today!

-

Bold: I said about barriers but it's a sad state of affairs if people have to be treated like chickens... still, you couldn't barrier off the tram stop. And people would just cross there as they do now.

There are plenty of know alls on here. I wonder if anyone can think of a better way of safely siphoning so many things at this section.

Nothing wrong with the bus gate opening at 11am for all traffic. Even I the middle of rush hour it doesn't take long to drive through and rest of the day is easy.

It adds +/-10 minutes to the yellow route journey times from 11am when the bus gate opens. It adds approx 5-10 minutes per journey for some of the bus routes that go through the area. The causes significant disruption to many passengers per hour compared to the number of single occupied cars.

During rush hour the combination of Hillsborough and Leppings Lane can add anywhere between 30 and 50 minutes to the yellow route. Don't forget that the trams, and some buses, have to go both up and down Hillsborough and so it isn't just a single direction. Combine that with some of the incredibly poor driving and unthinking passengers and Hillsborough is just a nightmare.

It isn't designed for the amount of traffic that it handles on a daily basis. The tram should never have been built through there, but it is there now and isn't going anywhere. The bus interchange is a nightmare and the way buses queue, sometimes for 5+ minutes waiting at the lights it encourages pedestrians to try cross between them and then they end up stepping out without looking properly. Pedestrians do need to exercise more care but it isn't a very friendly for people.

A relatively easy way to make the area safer, promote public transport use and to make the area more pleasant would be to reduce the amount of traffic through the area and send it onto Penistone Road instead which is designed to handle a greater number of cars.

---------- Post added 21-03-2017 at 22:23 ----------

I edited my post slightly when I realised someone could have been injured badly there today!

-

Bold: I said about barriers but it's a sad state of affairs if people have to be treated like chickens... still, you couldn't barrier off the tram stop. And people would just cross there as they do now.

I'm amazed nobody has been hit at the stop outside the Rawson - people always stand halfway across the ped crossing, sometimes with buggies/prams etc and then a tram comes in and they have nowhere to go because there's a tram one side and moving traffic the other.

-

There are plenty of know alls on here. I wonder if anyone can think of a better way of safely siphoning so many things at this section.

There isnt a tram srop where im talking about although ive just realised where I thought Costa was is actually where subway is,while I wasnt talking atbout that junction you are right. I was thinking of the one at the crossroads.

There isnt a tram srop where im talking about although ive just realised where I thought Costa was is actually where subway is,while I wasnt talking atbout that junction you are right. I was thinking of the one at the crossroads.

It's worse opposite the tram stop between buses can be held at a red light prior to Hillsborough corner whilst traffic exiting towards the interchange can be moving. People step between the buses to try and cross only to find a bus or car coming at 30mph up the road. Trams don't usually go that fast as they're pulling into the stop but I wouldn't want to get hit by a tram at 1mph either!

...It isn't designed for the amount of traffic that it handles on a daily basis. The tram should never have been built through there, but it is there now and isn't going anywhere....

Yes. Absolutely.

Well, let's face it, it's the whole junction!

There are certainly more problems on the tramstop side though.

Is there going to be any consultation on this? The bus gate really needs to be all day like it was originally. As soon as it opens to all traffic at 11am then everything grinds to a halt. Buses and trams never really recover and the knock on delays on the trams continue into the evening. It causes chaos for commuters.

This isn't true at all.

I quite often drive through after the tram gate finishes at 1900 and there's rarely a delay.

And on the few occasions that I happen to use it in the middle of the day I've not noticed a problem either.

And my OH catches the tram home regularly, it's never been delayed enough that she's ever commented on it.

---------- Post added 22-03-2017 at 08:54 ----------

The red light that allows traffic through 1 way but not the other is a source of much confusion for pedestrians I think. They see a red light and stationary traffic on one side, they assume the car approaching the light from the other is going to stop.

And people cross at the interchange crossing without looking as well, I know bikes are quiet, but if you walk out in front of one coming through there it will hurt. I probably get about 1 walk out every 2 months.