Anybody Remember Wilson Tupholmes

Someone I know called Ruth Lawrence (married name Smith) worked there in the early 70's. Anyone remember her?

My Auntie Winifred worked there in the 50/60's her surname was Ward. I think she worked in the shoe Dept. selling shoes.

I remember Wilson Tupholme on Pitsmoor Road. My then to be mother-in-law was a customer there, and introduced me to the shop when we got married, it was a good shop, very helpful. some of my furniture was purchased there in my early married years, it was quality stuff and you could pay weekly, something that was frowned on in those days, as the saying used by some older people was if you can't buy it outright you can't afford it. In those days we acquired one thing at a time and payed for it before we bought anything else. a bit different to the young of today.

I never worked there but I remember going in there with my uncle to buy some furniture. This was when I was a kid, probably late fifties? Or am I getting mixed up with another store? It seems so long ago and I don't know if the store was open as far back as the fifties. Anyway, can anyone tell me what the building is used for these days? I know someone is working in there.

Going to buy kids school clothes there and going from dept to dept carrying a slate to have your purchases listed before taking it to the cash office to be added to your account. Thats what they mean by have it on the slate.

I used to shop there in the early 70s,the one at the back of the moor,my Mum had an account for years.

I remember as a kid being dragged round this branch of Tupholmes. My brother used to hide when he heard mum saying that we were going to Tupholmes. Sorry this is no help looking for real info about Tupholmes but the name just brought back a childhood memory.

I think they are now just a money lender.

I had a saturday job here in the early 70s when I was 14. Worked on the menswear dept with two guys (cant remember their names) who used to spend all day reading their newspapers and doing the crosswords. Do remember the cafe there, did lovely hot roast pork butties. Used to earn two quid and get the bus straight into town and spend it down chapel walk on some silly shirt or something equally useless!.

I worked at Wilson Tupholmes about 1964 ,i worked in the Hairdressers as a friday night /saturday girl ,my dad also worked there as a collector in the late 50"s and so did two of my uncles ,crickey it was hard work

im sure my mum worked there in the 70s her name is lesley .

its where you bought things on a slate and them take the slate to the accounts desk for you weekly payment book.

yes my aunty as I recall used to work for them, as a door to door collector back in the mid 70's.